Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

At what age?-ETA

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 39 Replies

At what age could your child write their first and last name legibly?

ETA: I just wanted to know because DS is 5 and he just basically taught himself how to spell our last name. I know that PreK might have helped but I'm not sure. (It's a crappy class)

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Three

AleaKat
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM
5 when he started kindergarten.
I tried to help him but I failed. That teacher of his is amazing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Three or four, it has been so long ago that I don't even remember.

gcstar42
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Both of my oldest 2 could write their names when they were 4 years old (they are now 6 and 5). My 3 1/2 yr old does not write her name yet. She halfway attempts the first two letters of her name, but so far has not really shown any kind of interest at all in wanting to do it and at this point I have not worried about trying to make her do it.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM

She was writing her first name,legibly,at 2 1/2 and then started adding her last name in at around 3.

mrsjksimmons
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

DS just started writing our last name recently. He is spelling mom, dad, & his first name/middle initial/last name on everything he can find. lol I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't "behind". He's been spelling his first name for a long while now.

Quoting gcstar42:

Both of my oldest 2 could write their names when they were 4 years old (they are now 6 and 5). My 3 1/2 yr old does not write her name yet. She halfway attempts the first two letters of her name, but so far has not really shown any kind of interest at all in wanting to do it and at this point I have not worried about trying to make her do it.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM

They all learned to write their first names before preschool.

For last names- my oldest was 7 and in 1st grade, my daughter learned at preschool age (about 4- they didn't teach her at preschool, but she wanted to learn- I think my oldest ended up teaching her), and my youngest- probably 3 lol- he's always way ahead at everything it seems.

JenniL05
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM
My son was 3 with his first name and 4 when he started writing his last name along with other simple words.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Halfway through kindergarten.  She also has motor delays though so not exactly typical.  She didnt have the benefit of preschool either.  She knew how to spell it and could recognize it in a list of words but not able to write it.

AA2.0
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

DD is 5 and in kindergarten. She has been legibly writing her first and last name since the beginning of the school year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN