Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hmm, should we go next week or wait until Spring Break?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: When should we go?

Options:

Next weekend

Spring Break

Other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

Jeremy is in 2nd grade and since they are studying about Georgia History this year (Jimmy Carter, Martin Luther King Jr., Cherokee and Creek Indians, etc), I thought for Spring Break we would go visit some of the state and national parks that are associated with this history. I just found out that next Saturday, in Plains, GA there will be a "Pig Pickin' Festival" and President Carter will be there to speak. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive to Plains from where we live. If we go next week, it will probably take a good chunk of money out of our Spring Break funds. It would have to be a day trip, so that would mean 7 hours of driving that one day. 

What do you think? Should we go next week in hopes of meeting President Carter or should we wait and do our original plans?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I think you should wait until Spring Break.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I would wait until spring break or ask son what he thinks would be fun.  A chance to meet a former president is a big  deal and to hear him speak is once in a lifetime for live engagements.

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM

What is a Pig Pickin Festival? Where you pick your own pigs?

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I have no idea. From the website it just looks like a festival with games, crafts, food, and vendors.

Quoting theresaphilly:

What is a Pig Pickin Festival? Where you pick your own pigs?

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I would try to do both.  In order to do that, I would make the upcoming weekend as cheap as possible.  You can't avoid the gas cost, but you could pack food to eat in the car, a picnic for while you're there, and a picnic supper for the car ride home as well. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Personally, I think I'd take my kids to hear former Pres. Carter speak. Opportunities like that don't come long very often, and it can be a great educational experience.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I would go to see President Carter. You can go to state parks anytime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM

BUMP!

berlgirl1224
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Quoting ddhb2007:

I would try to do both.  In order to do that, I would make the upcoming weekend as cheap as possible.  You can't avoid the gas cost, but you could pack food to eat in the car, a picnic for while you're there, and a picnic supper for the car ride home as well. 

JeremysMom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Quoting wakymom:

Personally, I think I'd take my kids to hear former Pres. Carter speak. Opportunities like that don't come long very often, and it can be a great educational experience.

I agree. I remember getting to see President Clinton speak while he was in office and it is something that I will never forget. Of course, I was much older than he is now, so I am not sure how excited he would be, but at least he has the opportunity and once they do study him in social studies, he will know who he is and have a better understanding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN