Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

You all have been very helpful to me and given me good advice.  Yes I am pro corporal punishment in the school.  (Please dont bash)

The principal gave oss 2 licks for not following directions and making a 63 on an open book math test.  I had emailed the principal and he said he would talk to oss.  He paddled him (2 licks). 

When OSS got home Dh talked to him about it and I was listening.  I THINK he realizes how serious this is (we'll see).  DH said he didnt realize that he was going to paddle him but he was glad he did because OSS needed his attention to be gotten.

There was a change in OSS last night and he did his homework no problem no crying no whining. 

I hope that he begins to do well.  I got permission from DH last night to get him an appt to start tesing for ADD or any other disability (which we dont think he has).  But we want to rule it out.

After this post I may be kicked out but I did want to thank you all for your support.  

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
HyperMom38
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I'm in NYS and graduated HS in 1990.  Back when I was in the 5th grade I remember seeing it posted in every classroom that in NYS corporal punishment administered by a school employee was against the law.  That must have been around 1981 or 1982.  I cannot believe this is still going on in this country!

Quoting mary841108:

i honestly thought they did away with that in schools

Kaybean
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
This makes me sad. I'm not against spanking, but I am against anyone other than myself or DH doing it and even we rarely ever do. I don't think scoring low on a math test is reason to swat a child. What if he didn't understand the math and tried his best? My oldest son has ADHD and I can't imagine letting a teacher swat him for not following directions. That doesn't mean we just let him get away with it because we don't, but being paddled would not be a method we would use for that. What if your son is struggling and just needs some help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catrig
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM
They paddled him for a bad grade? Nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimkrys1
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

It wasnt his first offense he has been told several times by teachers and us to listen in class.  He will not listen, he does not pay attention.  The teachers say they have to repeatedly tell him to pay attention and he admitted that he did not find examples to go by.

His average was a 53 at the time of our initial meeting with the principal, teacher and counselor.  DH told them that he could not be at school with him full time he had to work and that it was up to them to get him to pay attention.  He just cant be there.

I had offered to go to school with him for one day and was denied.  He was and still is failing math. He will fail the 4th grade if he doesnt get his grade up.  

He has proven to us that he does know his work he just doesnt want to do it.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I think the punishment should fit the crime...IMO, paddling for not paying attention and getting a D on test seems a bit much. Was this first offense?

kimkrys1
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

He didnt try his best and he has told us several times in the past the he doesnt need math to pass to the next grade.

His father has spanked him at home but it doesnt help

Quoting Kaybean:

This makes me sad. I'm not against spanking, but I am against anyone other than myself or DH doing it and even we rarely ever do. I don't think scoring low on a math test is reason to swat a child. What if he didn't understand the math and tried his best? My oldest son has ADHD and I can't imagine letting a teacher swat him for not following directions. That doesn't mean we just let him get away with it because we don't, but being paddled would not be a method we would use for that. What if your son is struggling and just needs some help?

LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

What. The. Fuck. Seriously? You are ok with this?! What the fuck is wrong with you?

mary841108
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I'm in new york as well and graduated in 2003 and never once in all my trouble making childhood years have had a school that does CP

Quoting HyperMom38:

I'm in NYS and graduated HS in 1990.  Back when I was in the 5th grade I remember seeing it posted in every classroom that in NYS corporal punishment administered by a school employee was against the law.  That must have been around 1981 or 1982.  I cannot believe this is still going on in this country!

Quoting mary841108:

i honestly thought they did away with that in schools

Sarahb22
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Isnt thst against the law?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this

If he does have ADD or another learning disability, he's not doing it to be obstinate, he may truly not be able to focus.

My son has Aspergers and ADHD -- is he capable of doing the work?  Absolutely.  Are his grades always good?  Nope, because when his symptoms aren't properly managed, he honestly can not focus no matter how much he wants to.

Spanking would never, ever be a consequence of not paying attention/making poor grades.

You guys need to make sure there's nothing else going on with this kid and THEN discuss appropriate consequences.

My son is ten and God help the person who ever laid a hand on him for failing a test.

Quoting kimkrys1:

It wasnt his first offense he has been told several times by teachers and us to listen in class.  He will not listen, he does not pay attention.  The teachers say they have to repeatedly tell him to pay attention and he admitted that he did not find examples to go by.

His average was a 53 at the time of our initial meeting with the principal, teacher and counselor.  DH told them that he could not be at school with him full time he had to work and that it was up to them to get him to pay attention.  He just cant be there.

I had offered to go to school with him for one day and was denied.  He was and still is failing math. He will fail the 4th grade if he doesnt get his grade up.  

He has proven to us that he does know his work he just doesnt want to do it.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I think the punishment should fit the crime...IMO, paddling for not paying attention and getting a D on test seems a bit much. Was this first offense?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

kimkrys1
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Not in MS.  You do have to sign a form whether you want them to be paddled or not my husband signed that he did want them to be paddled.

Quoting Sarahb22:

Isnt thst against the law?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN