Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

so mad at my sons school that I cannot see straight *update(red & blue)*

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 81 Replies

Update: i went to the school and talked to the principal. She admitted fault. Said that almost his entire class showed up that day. The teacher was supposed to post a sign on the door and send a note home with the children. but failed to do so. And she said that if there is ever a day where there is no school that Is not on a calendar that she will call me. she said she would talk to the teacher as well and find out what happened and why nothing was sent home or posted. She also said that she will make sure the teacher understands that she needs to or an aide needs to walk students to the office. not allow them to leave on their own. 

When i picked him up. the teacher stopped me to talk about it. she apologized and said that a miscommunication had occured between her and her teacher aide. that they both thought the other person had posted a note and sent one home. but they soon learned on thursday that they had forgot as nearly every child showed up.  She said she was sorry, that she assumed my son had gone to the office but will make sure and personally walk him down next time. 

My 5 year old has ADHD and anxiety. He is in kindergarten.

Wednesday When I took him. I witnessed him get bullied for his glasses and for giving me a kiss. I called the principal and let her know. Also gave her the boys name. And told me she would take care of it. When I picked him up she told me that she talked to him. That he told her no. They were just playing. (I'm not sure he completely comprehends what bullying is ). We then went to parent teacher conferences and he is doing great.

Thursday I take him to school i stand by the office and watch him walk to class. (This helps him get over his anxiety about school) i watched him walk into his classroom. So i left. When I get in the car i had a phone call. It lasted a few minutes. Just as I hang up I see my 5 year old running through the parking lot and hear brakes screech. My son almost got hit by a car. He comes to me bawling and panicing.Telling me that he has no school. His teacher told him. I call the school and sure enough there is no school for kindergarten today. At this point I'm fuming. No one told us he had no school and it also is not on the school calendar.

I'm lucky I was still there. But his teacher should have walked him to the office. Not allowed him to leave alone. In my state the school is legally responsible for each sudents safety from the morning they walk in the door to the moment school is out.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momforhealth
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Wow!! I would be livid! I would be visiting the principal and contacting tbe teacher. Im happy he is ok. It should get better as he gets older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM
6 moms liked this

I find it really difficult to believe that you weren't notified that school was not in session. Why was the teacher there? I just feel like there are huge missing pieces to this story. I would also talk to your son about parking lot safety. I'm glad nothing happened to him.

lovehimforever
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM
The teacher was there to do conferences. My son is not the only child that showed up. There were 4 other kids walking down the hall to class. He knows about parking lot safety but when a panic attack sets in. You do not think clearly.

I at first thought that I missed the no school date. I checked his school calendar and the weekly newsletter and neither said anything about no school for kindergarten on thursday.

Quoting mjande4:

I find it really difficult to believe that you weren't notified that school was not in session. Why was the teacher there? I just feel like there are huge missing pieces to this story. I would also talk to your son about parking lot safety. I'm glad nothing happened to him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Aren't conferences on the master calendar!? Every school I have been associated has set days for those.  Is your son special needs?

Quoting lovehimforever:

The teacher was there to do conferences. My son is not the only child that showed up. There were 4 other kids walking down the hall to class. He knows about parking lot safety but when a panic attack sets in. You do not think clearly.

I at first thought that I missed the no school date. I checked his school calendar and the weekly newsletter and neither said anything about no school for kindergarten on thursday.

Quoting mjande4:

lovehimforever
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
It has the dates on there for when confrences are but doesn't say there was no school. His other school had school on those days.

Quoting mjande4:

Aren't conferences on the master calendar!? Every school I have been associated has set days for those.  Is your son special needs?

Quoting lovehimforever:

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm. I've never known a school to be in session during conferences, because how can the teacher be in two places at once? Was your previous school a preschool?

Quoting lovehimforever:

It has the dates on there for when confrences are but doesn't say there was no school. His other school had school on those days.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lovehimforever:

Quoting mjande4:

lovehimforever
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM
At his other school they do them after school. The conference we went to on Wednesday was after school. No he went to a different kindergarten. Then we moved

Quoting mjande4:

Hmm. I've never known a school to be in session during conferences, because how can the teacher be in two places at once? Was your previous school a preschool?

Quoting lovehimforever:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lovehimforever:

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I've never known of a school to be out for conferences. Here they do them between 3 and 5. School is out at 2:45. It seems odd to reserve a whole school day for something that only takes a few hours at most.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lovehimforever:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I would make sure to check the school website often and chalk this one up to miscommunication.  Your son sounds like he needs an older student "buddy" at school. Is there someone in the neighborhood that could help out?

Quoting lovehimforever:

At his other school they do them after school. The conference we went to on Wednesday was after school. No he went to a different kindergarten. Then we moved

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lovehimforever:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lovehimforever:

Quoting mjande4:

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM

When I was young, we did. My kids, elementary, not out. Sometimes, jr high, is. Didn't look at hs. Lol ours are also, after school. I need to register for a time on Monday. :) elementary school done at 3:35pm, m-th, done at 1:55pm, on Friday. :)

Quoting aj23:

I've never known of a school to be out for conferences. Here they do them between 3 and 5. School is out at 2:45. It seems odd to reserve a whole school day for something that only takes a few hours at most.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lovehimforever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)