Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter wants me to homeschool

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this

She's in first grade and had a wonderful teacher.  Well, teacher retired Friday with no prior notice to the families; we got a letter home on Friday.  I know the teacher and apparently it was the administration who thought this was a good idea not to let anyone know.  My daughter is upset as are several of her friends.  I know people retire midyear (its based on years of service and your birthday) and understand thinking February vacation would be a good transition from one teacher to the new one but we should have been told at least a week ago so the kids could be prepared.  My daughter asked me yesterday if I could quit working (I'm a special ed teacher) and homeschool her.  That's not a possibility and I know she'll be fine but I really wish the principal (whom I'm not a fan of) had thought about the kids a little more.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Oh man, her poor little heart.  I am sure they would have loved to throw a good bye party or something for their teacher. I guess you will have to watch and see if she likes the new teacher coming in.   DD got the youngest teacher of her grade this year (1st grade as well) so no fear of her retiring but leaving after this year if she doesnt like how things are run.

calsmom62
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Id be perturbed . I would have thought a small going away or retirement party would give closure. With our oldest ds we had a teacher leave mid year without notice but that's because she was caught drinking in the supply closet and leaving the class for an hour or more at a time. The kids were 8 and we told them she was ill. Otherwise we have always had some sort of notice if teachers changed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Wow, yes, definitely not a good transition for the kids!  Did they even get to say goodbye to her at all?  It doesn't sound like it, from what you said, and I can't imagine it made the teacher very happy to not be able to say something to the kids.

I hope your DD is able to make a smooth transition to the new teacher.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I haven't heard of teachers normally retiring during the school year. I find that and the lack of notice pretty odd.

I hope the transition goes OK for your daughter. My son has had a couple teachers that have had maternity leave, and he is always slow to adjust to a new teacher. Good luck to her!!

gonecrazi
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Bless her heart, they could have told ya'll sooner.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Wow!  That has to be really hard for the children.  I couldn't imagine all of the questions that the must have and how confusing it is going to be when the new teacher is there after break.

I don't ever recall a teacher retiring mid-year in our district.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I have a friend who is a teacher, and she will have to leave mid-year to earn her pension. It's frustrating for teachers, too... But there are sometimes extenuating circumstances from the teacher perspective. It's really no good for anyone, most of all the kids.

I'm shocked that they wouldn't allow the kids any opportunity for closure, though. :-\ It really sets a bad tone for the rest of the year. I hope your DD does ok with the new teacher after the break.
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I know!  I'm surprised that the teacher didn't "think" about that iether!  I know that sometimes thier retirement does come about midyear, but you'd think theyw ould just finish the year!  Unless she was having health problems, anyway.

I don't know what else to say!  I hope that the teacher taht replaces her is fantastic :).  This happened to my son last year in preschool (but it wasn't the teacher leaving voluntarily...odd situation).  Caden trasitioned quite well.  He did miss hid old teacher (he really adored her).  It all turned out well in the end :)

CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM
:( poor kids

My daughter would also not do well with that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM
4 moms liked this
I hate the term "closure"..What exactly is that?

Kids do better with time to transition, I agree. However, changing teachers isn't life altering as losing a family member would be.

Sure, be sympathetic but move on and don't ohhhh and awww over it and the child will move on too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)