Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My daughter wants me to homeschool

Posted by   + Show Post

She's in first grade and had a wonderful teacher.  Well, teacher retired Friday with no prior notice to the families; we got a letter home on Friday.  I know the teacher and apparently it was the administration who thought this was a good idea not to let anyone know.  My daughter is upset as are several of her friends.  I know people retire midyear (its based on years of service and your birthday) and understand thinking February vacation would be a good transition from one teacher to the new one but we should have been told at least a week ago so the kids could be prepared.  My daughter asked me yesterday if I could quit working (I'm a special ed teacher) and homeschool her.  That's not a possibility and I know she'll be fine but I really wish the principal (whom I'm not a fan of) had thought about the kids a little more.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Replies (71-76):
dedicatedmama2
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think you took this completely the wrong way. When notes are sent home, children tend not to read them or even care about them. I was not saying that they suck at reading but there is reading for a 1st grade level and then there is reading for adults. You should try not to be so offensive to things. You child may be above grade level, not every child is the same.  

Quoting apinksunrise:

i'm not sure WHERE you got this, but my first grader is an amazing reader, and LOVES to read, asks to spend his allowance on books instead of toys.... he's been reading since prek.

Quoting dedicatedmama2:

My family are all teachers and this was new to me. I have never heard of a teacher retiring in the middle, towards the end of the year!! My uncles, aunts and father, along with many many friends have always finished out the year. I find this really sad especially for younger children because some changes can be really hard on them. I think the parents could have been sent home a note (kids cant read great in the first grade nor really care to) so the parents to prepare their children. I hope she fits with the new teacher they put in place. I pray that other kids dont suffer from this transition, it can effect everything and as teachers they should have known this!!! 

MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Well then I change that -- its crappy of the state. What an annoyance on everyone.. How horrible for teachers born near the start of the school year.

Quoting mommy2boys03:

In my state it's not always the teacher's choice they go by birthdate andnumber of years of service.  That is how the contract is written.  Most teachers would rather finish out the year.  

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Wow.. Sorry but that is crappy of the teacher to not be able to work another whole 3-4months for the kids... Was teaching that horrible to her or what!

Im pretty pro homeschooling.. but this reason, I wouldnt go for it...

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

First graders are resilient. They will adjust fine to the new teacher once they get used to a new routine and personality. It might take time, but there is plenty of time left in the school year. My daughter had a new teacher who started beginning of March. She was right out of school and came in with fantastic enthusiam and fresh ideas. She replaced a teacher that was set in her ways and "tired". My daughter still talks about what a great teacher Mrs. Friedel was, even though she had her only 3 months.

mommy2boys03
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I agree they should let the teacher finish the year then retire unless there are other cirmcumstances.  That would be better for the kids.  You know they are only looking at budget issue with this one.  New teachers are cheaper than more experienced ones

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Well then I change that -- its crappy of the state. What an annoyance on everyone.. How horrible for teachers born near the start of the school year.

Quoting mommy2boys03:

In my state it's not always the teacher's choice they go by birthdate andnumber of years of service.  That is how the contract is written.  Most teachers would rather finish out the year.  

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Wow.. Sorry but that is crappy of the teacher to not be able to work another whole 3-4months for the kids... Was teaching that horrible to her or what!

Im pretty pro homeschooling.. but this reason, I wouldnt go for it...

MWood18
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:54 AM
shame on that teacher for not sticking it out a few.more.months!! I can't believe they would.leave id year!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SEileen
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I totally agree with you. She we will be fine it's going to take time. Right now she could be feeling gave up on, or like she can't trust anyone other than you. Being a teacher yourself you know the importance of making the children in your class feel safe and confident. And she feels that she lost that and the only other person she knows won't abandon her in life is you. Quite possible she heard other people talking about homeschool. And an lightbulb went off hey my mom is a great teacher she can do that, she can teach me. You just got to build up confidence that she  be fine. And if it was my daughter's school I would have wrote a letter to the school and the board of education and had all the other parents that felt the same  as you and are going though the same situation as you sign it expressing how they hurt and let down those small precious children. With there stupidity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)