Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teachers vs. Parents?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

A lot of the posts I have read lately have a teacher vs parents feeling to them and I am just wondering why? This is a support group, is it not? This is a place to ask questions about things we are not clear on and someone else on here may have already gone through. Comments like "your precious little snowflake" and "everyone thinks their child is gifted or special" those comments are filled with sarcasm and meant to be condescending. I understand just like in any career a person sees a lot of the same type of things that can get annoying after a while and teachers are human and get jaded like the rest of us but it doesn't need to come out in a forum where people are seeking assistance, support, and guidance. I try to put myself in the teachers shoes whenever I make any requests and I know my child isnt the only child in her class. Is there anyway the teachers can do the same and try to understand parent love their kids and want the best for them arent we all wanting the same thing success for the kids? Does it have to be an us against them mentality can we try to see each other as teammates. I feel very lucky to have such a great rapport and open communication with my dd teacher but it didnt happen because of something I did or something she did, it happened because of something "we" did together.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

When I comment, 90% of the time, it's as the mother not the teacher. I can tell you that the things said on here I would say mom to mom and do occasionally in person. I don't see the Internet as a place to find friends or get support, that's what my real friends/family do. I also think it's important for posters to get "both" sides even if it's not sunshine and rainbows. My thoughts are if you don't like the response, then move along. As for the precious little snowflakes of the world, if their parents didn't treat them like they were going to melt, other adults wouldn't call them this.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

The comments that I've seen that contain "snowflake" and "everything thinks their child is special" aren't coming from teachers, to the best of my knowledge. So I find the title to this post confusing.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM
8 moms liked this

I can't say that I ever through of this group as a "support group" per say.  It is classified as an "age group", meaning that parents of children similar ages coming together to share their common experiences and offer advice to each other.

On the other side of the coin, parents need to realize that their child really isn't as perfect and special as they would like to think that they are.

PS - I'm not a teacher and I find quite a few of the recent posts here to be absolutely ridiculous.  Parents need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them and their child.

calsmom62
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that a few posts from mothers venting about school or teachers are so far out of the range of normal and are incredulous. These posts get the "precious little snowflake" responses, and secretly you hope these people never move into your neighborhood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I also go to friends and family for support but some ppl don't have that I have read (not in this group necessarily) posts from ppl who have no one to turn to with their ?s and concerns. I guess my point is although I am not one to keep my feelings and opinions to myself I say them as politely as I can. I do not see the point in being rude.

Quoting mjande4:

When I comment, 90% of the time, it's as the mother not the teacher. I can tell you that the things said on here I would say mom to mom and do occasionally in person. I don't see the Internet as a place to find friends or get support, that's what my real friends/family do. I also think it's important for posters to get "both" sides even if it's not sunshine and rainbows. My thoughts are if you don't like the response, then move along. As for the precious little snowflakes of the world, if their parents didn't treat them like they were going to melt, other adults wouldn't call them this.

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The comment in red is my point ppl come here for "advice" not "attack" although I do agree with you that some of the posts have been ridiculous I still comment politely because I have no idea what that parents struggle is. I just feel like we are getting away from the idea of community and becoming extremely judgemental towards one another and I think that is sad. I want to help uplift another mother not berate them.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I can't say that I ever through of this group as a "support group" per say.  It is classified as an "age group", meaning that parents of children similar ages coming together to share their common experiences and offer advice to each other.

On the other side of the coin, parents need to realize that their child really isn't as perfect and special as they would like to think that they are.

PS - I'm not a teacher and I find quite a few of the recent posts here to be absolutely ridiculous.  Parents need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them and their child.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you that I really get a parent vs teacher vibe in this group. I don't always know if its a teacher commenting or not, but the same people tend to always take the side of the teacher & often don't give the parent posting the benefit of the doubt.  For example, they don't clarify what happened before jumping to "the teacher/school weren't wrong, you were".  The vibe here isn't one that gives me the impression that I'd get true support or advice if I needed it.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I couldn't agree more.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM
A lot of the comments you are referencing on here actually come from parents - not teachers.

I am both a parent and a teacher, so I definitely feel I have a balanced response when I respond to a school based question/comment.

As a teacher, I am always highly aware that every child in my class is "someone's baby" and I approach situations with that knowledge in mind.

I have great relationships with the parents in my class and have positive relationships with my kids teachers as well.
corrinacs
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I know what you mean :( :(.  Sometimes, there's a reason why posts are in that tone, but you are right.  I think in many things we think of things so "black and white".  Its always "Teachers" vs" parents".....or "parents" vs "doctors".  Who knows why.....if there's this wall of distrust with these professions, why do they still exist?

But, unfortunately, this is CafeMom.  It used to be fantastic and you'd never see this type of drama 5 years ago.  I don't know waht happened in that time, but these days I see it everywhere.

The most condenscending people I ever talked to were those on a group in here.  For a topic where moms need a lot of encouragement, they were not very encouraging :/.  No matter what was brought to them, the doctors were ALWAYS wrong.  My son was very small, not growing properly......but they said "he's normal".......it ended up not being normal at all!

Point being, you will find the groups here that are encouraging and those that aren't.  This one hasn't been that bad, but it still has its "moments".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN