Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ask me anything!

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Replies (11-16):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sylvan is a joke. They pay the tutors nothing and charge the clients an arm and a leg. I know two people who worked there who were told to lie and say they were certified teachers when they weren't. They also intentionally skew their assessments to make it look like the kids have made more progress than they have. I find it very disturbing. 

The teacher has a point about the dyslexia. Letter reversals are developmentally normal up until 8-9 years old. It's easier to diagnose a learning disability when the child is older. 

What reading skills is she having the hardest time with?

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

Thank you i will look into those options! i know for Sylvan is $55/hr and they do 2 hours a week so $20/hr is an awesome deal. She is showing signs of dyslexia but the teacher says they can't diagnose that until they are older. it also runs in the family

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Don't go to one of the big tutoring companies. They will cost you an arm and a leg. 

Check at the school to see if there's any tutoring available. It's doubtful since the teacher would have recommended it, but it's worth a shot. 

Do you any universities nearby? You could call and ask about a college student studying education that could tutor. 

You could also ask at the school if any teachers tutor. I am tutoring a student in another class for $20 per hour. It's not cheap, but it's way less than I could charge and less than Sylvan or the big companies charge. 

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

my first grader is very behind in reading and the teacher said sorry the funding in the school has been cut its not severe enough to put her in a class to help. with that being said for first grade would you recommend me to hire a tutor or is there places that can help low income families? i'm a single mom of 4

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM

What books would you recommend for a 4th grader that reads at a 7th grade level?  It is getting hard finding books for her to read.

SpurgeonMom
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM
she has issues with sounding out words, anything with th ing er basic phonics chunk words my preschooler is trying to help her she losses focus really easy and when we do flash cards she has a hard time when i showed her was she blurted out saw and when i showed her saw she blurted out was she still occasionally writes her name backwards when not paying attention i'm doing extra work with her at home an hour a day but she gets frustrated easily and then starts going off into dream land

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Sylvan is a joke. They pay the tutors nothing and charge the clients an arm and a leg. I know two people who worked there who were told to lie and say they were certified teachers when they weren't. They also intentionally skew their assessments to make it look like the kids have made more progress than they have. I find it very disturbing. 

The teacher has a point about the dyslexia. Letter reversals are developmentally normal up until 8-9 years old. It's easier to diagnose a learning disability when the child is older. 

What reading skills is she having the hardest time with?

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

Thank you i will look into those options! i know for Sylvan is $55/hr and they do 2 hours a week so $20/hr is an awesome deal. She is showing signs of dyslexia but the teacher says they can't diagnose that until they are older. it also runs in the family

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Don't go to one of the big tutoring companies. They will cost you an arm and a leg. 

Check at the school to see if there's any tutoring available. It's doubtful since the teacher would have recommended it, but it's worth a shot. 

Do you any universities nearby? You could call and ask about a college student studying education that could tutor. 

You could also ask at the school if any teachers tutor. I am tutoring a student in another class for $20 per hour. It's not cheap, but it's way less than I could charge and less than Sylvan or the big companies charge. 

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

my first grader is very behind in reading and the teacher said sorry the funding in the school has been cut its not severe enough to put her in a class to help. with that being said for first grade would you recommend me to hire a tutor or is there places that can help low income families? i'm a single mom of 4

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM
What should my daughter know for 1st grade. Right now she can read and spell 110 sight words. ( she does make some mistakes). She loves to read. She can read level 2 books and level 3 books. She had a reading assestment done and they put her at level f... what does that mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherofMiles
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Harry Potter:)

Quoting IWantOneMorePlz:

What books would you recommend for a 4th grader that reads at a 7th grade level?  It is getting hard finding books for her to read.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Do you use the DRA system for assessing kids?  If so, do you reassess formally each time you want to move a kid a level or informally and move them.  Last year, DD's teacher moved her up informally, but this year her teacher won't and won't reassess a kid already above grade level until spring, so she has been formally stuck at K since October, but then is also taking books from L-N home too, but I am told she is officially at K, which is confusing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN