Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies)

I am still on my quest to real every Newberry Award winning novel written since I was born. I haven't been reviewing all the books because honestly some of them haven't been all that noteworthy. 

I just finished Lincoln: A Photobiography. I will say I'm a little perplexed as to why it won. It's a great historical account of Lincoln's life, but I'm not sure the book holds much appeal for most kids. I also think the average upper elementary or middle school student would need to read this as part of a unit on Lincoln or the Civil War. It's a heavy read and would be very difficult without lots of background building and support. 

That said, I really enjoyed it. It's a dry read, but I think it does a good job of painting the picture of Lincoln's life. It helped me have a clearer understanding of the Civil War. My students weren't rushing to library to check it out after me. But I read it while we were doing a unit on Harriet Tubman. It helped me give them a clearer picture of the era and they were interested to read excerpts and look at the photographs. 

So this isn't one with huge mass appeal. But if you're a history buff it's well worth checking out. 

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Replies (11-14):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM

My 6yo plays the War of 1812 & the prize role is being Francis Scott Key. Lol he also loves US history, presidents etc. We stopped at Fort McHenry last May & he just loved it.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm going to look for this at our library.  My youngest son is very much into the Civil War, so he'd most likely find is fascinating.  He's a very odd child, who chose visiting Gettysburg over an amusement park for our family vacation.  lol

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

So happy to see that I'm not the only one with a history buff for a child.

MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM
My DD has developed quite a love for history and especially Abraham Lincoln. I will have to mention this one to her. I also see a trip to Gettysburg within the next summer or two. We have already been to his birthplace in KY.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM

I loved Bud, Not Buddy! you should definitely read that next

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting GwenMB:

BTW, you've got some really good books left to read on your list. :)

Any recommendations? I need a new one for next week. I've read most of what we have at school so I need to start ordering them from the library.

Bud, Not Buddy and Jacob Have I Loved are two that have really stayed with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN