Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies)

I am still on my quest to real every Newberry Award winning novel written since I was born. I haven't been reviewing all the books because honestly some of them haven't been all that noteworthy. 

I just finished Lincoln: A Photobiography. I will say I'm a little perplexed as to why it won. It's a great historical account of Lincoln's life, but I'm not sure the book holds much appeal for most kids. I also think the average upper elementary or middle school student would need to read this as part of a unit on Lincoln or the Civil War. It's a heavy read and would be very difficult without lots of background building and support. 

That said, I really enjoyed it. It's a dry read, but I think it does a good job of painting the picture of Lincoln's life. It helped me have a clearer understanding of the Civil War. My students weren't rushing to library to check it out after me. But I read it while we were doing a unit on Harriet Tubman. It helped me give them a clearer picture of the era and they were interested to read excerpts and look at the photographs. 

So this isn't one with huge mass appeal. But if you're a history buff it's well worth checking out. 

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Replies (11-14):
by Gwen on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM

My 6yo plays the War of 1812 & the prize role is being Francis Scott Key. Lol he also loves US history, presidents etc. We stopped at Fort McHenry last May & he just loved it.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm going to look for this at our library.  My youngest son is very much into the Civil War, so he'd most likely find is fascinating.  He's a very odd child, who chose visiting Gettysburg over an amusement park for our family vacation.  lol

by Emerald Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

So happy to see that I'm not the only one with a history buff for a child.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM
My DD has developed quite a love for history and especially Abraham Lincoln. I will have to mention this one to her. I also see a trip to Gettysburg within the next summer or two. We have already been to his birthplace in KY.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM

I loved Bud, Not Buddy! you should definitely read that next

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting GwenMB:

BTW, you've got some really good books left to read on your list. :)

Any recommendations? I need a new one for next week. I've read most of what we have at school so I need to start ordering them from the library.

Bud, Not Buddy and Jacob Have I Loved are two that have really stayed with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN