Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

how do you find sporting teams...

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 30 Replies
for young children? ds is 6 and i really want to put him in sports. he was in basketball and loved it. i found out about it because his school sent something home. they have not sent anything home since. where can i find something for him to be in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Other parents, whether at school or church, are your best resources.
nmk3
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Most Boy's & Girl's Club and YMCA-type places have acclimation-based basketball leagues for younger kids.  In the Midwest, all of the larger cities have entire facilities devoted to basketball programs, and they have developmental leagues as well.  These may be called "school ball" leagues.  There are also AAU and "travel" teams.  If your son is pretty talented or is really BIG (tall), that might be an option.  Google AAU for your state to see what's posted re: tryouts.  If your son is just likes being on the court and is not ready to learn specific rules of the game, or is not interested in the competitive aspect of Schoolball/AAU, the Y is probably your best bet.

Rlmama00
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Google, local newspaper, town recreation dept

gonecrazi
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Parks and Recreation of your town.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I dont know where u live, but here in Phenix City AL there is Upward sports which is through local churches. And it seems like any church in the area has a flyer for a sport and a church even not their own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

What kind of sport are you interested in?

Usually, it's parks and rec here. I google for our city website, and then it has information about parks and rec in the "services" section. 

Some youth sports have a national governing body (like Little League or USA Hockey), and so if you google for that national organization, it will give you information about your local organization which you can contact for the teams in your area.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Information on sports teams comes home from school.  In our rural area, even community events get advertised through the school since that is the best way to reach the most families.  The school is the center of our community.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I'd start with your town rec department. They should have either a quarterly catalog or a website with information.

All the sports leagues in my town put up flyers at the public library as well.
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Your town or schools websites.

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Things come home from school. Or I google it for my town.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN