Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fit throwing-- HELP!!!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 10 Replies
My 7 year old boy has been throwing the most awful fits, over the littlest things! He threw a bloody fit last night because his toe itched!!! He woke up the baby it was so bad!! Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I have tried everything to correct this behavior and nothing has worked!! Does anyone have any advice on how I can put a stop to this? I am at my wits end and don't know what to do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

First question, is he getting enough sleep?  Second, I would start taking away privileges each time a "fit" occurs.  Lay out the behavior expectations for him and don't back down. If A happens, then B happens, etc.  Good luck!

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Can you give us some more information on what triggers these fits and how you are currently handling them?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Ignore it and it will go away.  If there is no one around to witness his fit or pay any attention to his fit, then what is the point in having one?  My oldest son was quite the little fit taker and I would walk away from him without saying a word when he started having a fit.

othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Is he getting enough sleep? How do you handle the fits? Is he jelous of the baby at all? Good luck.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Ignore and don't engage. Don't "make" over every ouchie especially if there isn't blood or swelling. If you are in public, leave until child has calmed. Stay in car, give one more chance, if fit occurs again, leave for good. When he is calm, talk about overreacting and your expectations. If it doesn't stop then take away privileges or do time outs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Dd, 7, is quite the drama queen. If it's a minor fit, I ignore it. If it's a bigger one, I send her to her room and have her stay there until she's done and ready to be pleasant. If she throws a fit when a friend is over, the friend gets sent home.

She is quite the social butterfly, so being ignored or having to be alone usually works pretty well for us. We don't get the bigger fits, or fits w/ friends over very often any more. Still working on the minor ones. . .

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

In my kids' case, the fit was b/c they wanted to leave- they didn't want to out running errands. Taking them outside would've given them what they wanted, so I refused to do that. Continuing w/ the shopping (granted, as fast as I could) while telling them "Sorry, but we're not leaving until I'm done" worked- they would eventually settle down on their own. Of course, I didn't care if others stared at us, and , like I said, this is just how it worked best for me and my kids.

Quoting bleumonster:

Ignore and don't engage. Don't "make" over every ouchie especially if there isn't blood or swelling. If you are in public, leave until child has calmed. Stay in car, give one more chance, if fit occurs again, leave for good. When he is calm, talk about overreacting and your expectations. If it doesn't stop then take away privileges or do time outs.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I agree with several women here....do not engage and give him the good ol' "you get___________ if you __________" or, as someone else posted: if A happens then B happens.

Also, if he wants to throw these fits, create a space for him to do all these "fits" and tell him that once he is done, he can come out.

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Well obviously you have to know your kids and the situation LOL. My son was a champion fit thrower from age 4 to 5. However most of his were either about attention or getting what he wanted. In his case leaving the store and sitting in the car worked. I didn't think about those kids who just want to go home hehehe.

Quoting wakymom:

In my kids' case, the fit was b/c they wanted to leave- they didn't want to out running errands. Taking them outside would've given them what they wanted, so I refused to do that. Continuing w/ the shopping (granted, as fast as I could) while telling them "Sorry, but we're not leaving until I'm done" worked- they would eventually settle down on their own. Of course, I didn't care if others stared at us, and , like I said, this is just how it worked best for me and my kids.

Quoting bleumonster:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Talk to him about it.  Something is frustrating him and he just doesn't know how to get it out.  It could be anything as simple as he's having trouble with some math work at school.  It could be something serious.

Good luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN