Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help me wih the sex talk...

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just received a call from the school's Assistant Principal.  My daughter got caught passing a note from one student to another, the note was about sex.  My daughter did not write it or even open the note.  My concern is her classmates.  I think I'm WAY past due about this talk and it has come to smack me in the face.  Are there any good informative websites.  What exactly do you tell an 8 year old?  Any advice, I know I have to remain calm and I'm praying my DH and her BD can remain calm too!

confused

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnz2229
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not exactly sure how I'd start the conversation.  Basically I'd just ask her if there's anything her friends have been talking about that she has questions about.  If you know what the note said, you could generally cover that topic.  Let her ask questions and lead the conversation as much as possible.  

BKozICan
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I hope someone has an answer. I have a boy, just turned nine, and am pushing dh to have the talk. I have no resources to give him and he is delaying until I practically write out what to say.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Did she know what the note was about at all or was she just passing it to another person?  There are many books out there for girls about their growing bodies and sexual intimacy.   Have you talked to her about anatomy yet?

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all.....talking about sex is first talking about themselves and their body.  her body is going to change really soon.....have you started talking about that?  If not, I highly recommend American Girl's Care and Keeping of You.  My 9 year old and I read it awhile ago and have on-going conversations about it.  She is pretty comfortable talking about these things.

This would be a good start for sure.  Then, you can start talking about why girls have periods....then go from there.

momto3infl
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Start talking about their bodies and go from there-and be totally honest.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Quoting tnz2229:

I'm not exactly sure how I'd start the conversation.  Basically I'd just ask her if there's anything her friends have been talking about that she has questions about.  If you know what the note said, you could generally cover that topic.  Let her ask questions and lead the conversation as much as possible.  

This is also good.  Last night, we were watching a movie (can't remember which one) and someone use the word "sex".  My 6 year old said "she used the 's' word".  I asked her what she meant and she said "you know...short for sexy".  One of my friend's 7 year old heard the word "sex" and thought "girl" and "boy" (as in sex of the person).  You definitely need to know where she is at and start from there.

MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Id talk to her alone. mom to daughter.. dad shouldnt be part of the sex talk until dating occurs.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Id talk to her alone. mom to daughter.. dad shouldnt be part of the sex talk until dating occurs.

I agree but keep your husband in the loop of what you have talked about just in case she says something to him.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Last year when she was 8 years old. We talked about and got a book on how her body will change. She is know 9 years old and I just got a book on talking about sex. I am going to read it first and then her and I will read it together.

I let her ask any questions she wants and I ask her questions too. So far she knows about periods and they we have them so we can have baby's some day. She knows about breasts and what they are for. and all that other stuff.

paganmommy4
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

She is old enough to know the basics about her body ( puberty) You can calmly sit her down and ask her what she knows about the word sex and what does it mean? So you can get an idea of where to go. She is also old enough to know about how babies are made, use the proper terms etc. You don't want to scare her or have her imagination run wild. The older she gets the more you explain, and explain your beliefs to her ( not in terms of waiting for marriage) for the fact that older kids take that as a challenge and wonder WHY they should wait and dont during their teenage years, explain to her that her body is hers but you mandate what happens to it, that sex is not for children and its far better that she worry about herself, going to school and grows up before she thinks about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)