Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I know that a lot of you ladies volunteer at your child's school, as do I.  I also know that the safety and security of our children is a top priority for all of us.

The Principal of our elementary school and I are working on changing a few rules for volunteers for next school year and I would like some input from you ladies.  This is a huge change for us and I'm sure that we will be facing some opposition from our volunteers as these changes will be costing them money.

Does your child's school require you to have a background check done to volunteer in the building?  I'm not talking about a driver's license scan in the office, but the FBI Criminal Background check and fingerprint background check.

If so, is it required for every volunteer or just certain people, like PTA/PTO officers?

To chaperone a field trip, do you need to have these background checks done?

Does the school or PTA/PTO pay for the background checks?

Thank you ladies for your help.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (21-23):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We do not have to have a background check for any of the things you mentioned. BUT, I really wish they did require this. I would feel safer if I knew all the parents had a background check. Especially those that chaperon field trips.

And I think it's something the parents should be the ones paying to have done. They don't cost a ton of money to have done. UNLESS you want a backround check for EACH county they have ever lived in. Then of course that could get costly to some.

Chymerra
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
We have to get CORID before we can volunteer or do anything with the kids at my kids school. That consists of a DL scan and a background check. We (the parents) pay $25 towards it and the school covers the rest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yes. To volunteerin the school, a parent/person must submit and pass to a background check. They do not however take fingerprints. Parents are not charged for it. Field trips chaperones must also be cleared first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)