Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ADHD MEDS *EDIT*

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 58 Replies
Here is a little history. My nephew (9 yrs) has lived with me since OctoberOctober. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 and had been on Strattera. Last June my sister felt it was no longer necessary for him to be medicated so she took him off. Since my husband and I took him in I have been able to break him of alot of his bad habits at home with some behavioral therepy but he still has issues focusing at school. He is averaging a 2 (below standards) on his report cards. I was finally able to convince her that he needs the meds to help him with his focusing and impulsiveness. Her only stipulation is that whatever meds we choose must be non narcotic. I found 3 Strattera being 1.
Heres my others and my question
Have any ofbyou moms given your children these?
Intuniv or Kapvey
Did they help? What are the pros in your opinion? What are the cons?
I trying to get as much info as possible before I make the doctors appointment.

Thank you ladies. I took him into the doctors. Due to him being on PA medical(long frustrating story) I was limited on what he could be ordered. He was previously on Straterra and Concerta and they didnt work or he grew out of them. We tried Intuniv but the medication didnt come in a small enough dosage. So he is on 10mg of Adderall. The improvment was like night and day. He is doing absolutly great in school. His report card last semester was mostly 2s, the.new quarter he has mostly 3s.
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I thought most were non narcotic for adhd.  The doctor or pharmacy would have more knowledge on that and if strattera works for him, keep to that particular med.

momofjkkc
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Straterra was kinda working but he was outgrowing it. The main problem was the side affects. He wasnt eating much, no sleep, bad dreams... It is time for a new med. I just want so first hand experience information. What the doc and pharmacist give is usually what the pharmesutical (sp) company gives them.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I thought most were non narcotic for adhd.  The doctor or pharmacy would have more knowledge on that and if strattera works for him, keep to that particular med.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hopefully someone can help guide you.   Each medication can react differently in a child.  Hard to say what could work for him.

Quoting momofjkkc:

Straterra was kinda working but he was outgrowing it. The main problem was the side affects. He wasnt eating much, no sleep, bad dreams... It is time for a new med. I just want so first hand experience information. What the doc and pharmacist give is usually what the pharmesutical (sp) company gives them.

Quoting frndlyfn:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Sorry, do 't have experience with any of these. If you really believe the doctor is getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies, find a new doctor that you can trust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Have you tried diet and vitamins before strong Western drugs? If he is doing well most of the time with behavioral therapy he may not need drugs, just a change in diet. Dairy, wheat, and processed foods can have negative effects.
OHgirlinCA
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My son was on Straterra for a few months and it did absolutely nothing for him.  We changed over to Adderall and it has worked amazingly well.  He went from getting D's and F's to getting A's and B's.  He only uses them on school days.  Not all medications work the same for all people.  Strattera is actually known to not be effective in many individuals.  Kudos on giving him alot of structure.  It is amazing how much that can help.  Good luck to you.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Ds1 was on Vyvance until he maxed out the dosage- his body kept getting used to it. It worked well for him. He's now on Adderal and doing well w/ it. A big plus to those is that the capsules can be opened up and the med mixed in apple sauce- ds1 can't swallow pills that size very well at all yet. I don't know if they are narcotics, but they are controlled substances- I have to show my ID everytime I renew it.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

....  I don't understand ...  ADHD meds aren't narcotics.  If she doesn't know that, that seems like a huge red flag right there! 

Does she believe stimulants are narcotics?  If so, she is extremely uninformed about the situation.  Stimulant medications have the best chance of success in treating ADHD, they are controlled substances, but they are NOT narcotics.  In fact, they are almost the definitional opposite of narcotics. 

momofjkkc
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Its not that I belive they are getting kick backs. I ment they dont all have first hand knowledge. They dont all have actual experience with a child on the meds. Does that make sense?
I did actually get him a new doctor. We just started with this one the begining of the month, new insurance.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Sorry, do 't have experience with any of these. If you really believe the doctor is getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies, find a new doctor that you can trust.

momofjkkc
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Yeah Ive tried fish oil but he doesnt like it so its a fight to get him to take it. The doc said omega 3 and 6. The only kid vitamin I can find is just omega 3 so he has to take the adult 6. He is lactose intolerant sobhe gets almond milk, we eat as minimal processed food as possible. I do get some glutten free stuff for him.

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Have you tried diet and vitamins before strong Western drugs? If he is doing well most of the time with behavioral therapy he may not need drugs, just a change in diet. Dairy, wheat, and processed foods can have negative effects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)