Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all elementry public school teachers or parents of children with IEP

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 22 Replies

how does a child who does well with understanding concepts and math and reading but struggles with writing...get more help from the school. he is currently in OT outside of school but doesn't qualify for OT at the school.
How do children get the help of aids or resource room help? What steps happen or occur for a child to get this type of help. How can a child get an IEP? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

For dd she qualified for OT in school in concern of her handwriting.  Have you bought pencil grips for him so he can keep the proper hold at all times?   Has his teacher come to you about these concerns?   For dd it started at end of kindergarten and they evaluated with different puzzles she needed to trace with finger and then a pencil.  She has weak muscle tone in wrists so she gets OT.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Are you saying he has problems with the concept of writing or physically he has problems writing.

My son had a hard time in first grade (he is advanced in reading and math, but writing is horrible).  So, at parent teacher conference the teacher said she was going to have him evaluated by the OT.  We were shocked at the simple exercise she gave us and the teacher.  She said he had weak wrist and finger muscles, but overall didn't have a problem writing (as in he knew how to do it).  So, she told us to have him write with shortened pencils (think golf pencils).  This forces the hand to build up the muscles because you have to grip it differently than a full length pencil.  Fixed the problem in just a few months.  So, he never had to go back to the OT (the teacher monitored his progress).

Have you talked to his teacher?  Have you thought about just going down to the resource room and talk to them.  Even if they can't help, they might be able to provide you with alternatives.  I'm not sure about an IEP, but I would suspect you have to have a sit down with the teacher and/or principle.

Hope this helps.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Unfortunately the teacher is not much help.  DS has poor fine motor and weak elbow lower arm/hand muscles.  He does not qualify for the IT at school so we get it for him privately 2x a week.  The teacher is not having him make corrections on any of his mistakes, we do it when he gets home.  The consistency is not enough between home, OT and school.  The teacher has the smallest class of the 3 classes.  My DD was with a different kindergarten teacher last year and she had her make the corrections with her.  The teacher has told us that he may be held back do to his poor handwriting.... I want to get him help at the school but truly don't know if there is any help to get him and just want to do something for him.  I am meeting with the principal in a couple of days...which is the 2nd meeting we are having with her this year over this concern.  We have really seen not much progress with this. 

by Tammy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

 All of my kids have IEPs, but none specifically for writing. The ways they got testing/help/IEPs:

~With my oldest son (autism spectrum) his K teacher approached me about having him evaluated.

~For my daughter's IEP (for speech) I was approached by the spech teacher who had already done a preliminary eval.

~With my youngest son I suspected he was gifted and approached his teacher, who passed me on to the school psychologist and learning facilitator. They tested on my request and he was gifted, so then an IEP (well, it's called GIEP) was created.

You should be able to just bring it up with the teacher- and possibly learning facilitator or school psychologist or whoever works in the resource room. Sometimes the school sees it and comes to you and sometimes you have to initiate the process of testing/evaluation.

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

thank you eveyone


by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Did you write a letter to the school saying that you wanted him tested for an iep. Or ard?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I sent an email to a school counselor who then sent it to the school psychiatrist That I wanted my son tested for his ARD aka IEP .

Quoting AngelicMommy_72:

Did you write a letter to the school saying that you wanted him tested for an iep. Or ard?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

i am meeting with the principle this week so i am going to brainstorm with her and advocate for DS.  Just learning what are options

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

At our school if a parent requests testing we have to do testing.  I believe we have a year to complete testing. Write a letter and send it to the school and keep a copy of it.  something like that if the child is proficient in academic areas like math and language...small motor skills would just be something I would work on in the classroom.  I would modify assignments such as like a retelling of a story... it would be written but I would have the child read it to me so I can make sure he/she could retell the story even if I couldn't read it.  I have a student right now that has poor motor skills...but is very bright.  I just do most things orally with him and then on personal learning time he works on hand writing.  I highlight the lines on his paper so he can focus better on them...he also gets a jumbo popsicle stick to help with spacing between words.  Or I will ask him what he wants to write and I will put down lines on his paper so he can help keep the words going straight.  He also does alot of work with play doh to help build those muscles which can easily be done in class.  

I dont know how she could be held back because of handwriting?... I would never retain a kid bc of that.  

Also there is a thing called RTI... response to intervention/instruction.  I dont know if your school is actually implementing it but I believe most schools do ...our state requires all schools to be making a move to using it...anyway its where kids that struggle in a particular area are signed up for RTI if you child is struggling with this writing...she could be put into RTI.  Its a 3 level triangle thing.  First level is your "average" student, on grade level.  The 2nd level is for students who need extra assistance in a particular your case small motor development/handwriting,  It also requires these students have an extra time set aside to help in their struggling area.  Then level 3 is for the kids who even with this extra assistance are making no improvements (or very little).. these are the kids that are tested for special needs.  This is the process we have to use when we want to recommend a student for special needs testing.  its a very long process and we have to show a lot of documentation and different interventions we use to help improve the students struggling skill.  Takes at least a year or more to complete the process.  If a student is put at level 2 and the interventions/extra help time is helping this child make reasonable improvements then that child just stays at that level...and is always guarenteed the extra help until maybe he/she shows he doesnt need it anymore.  A child can move in or out or the level 2 process if one day the struggling skill "clicks" and he/she no longer needs extra help. 

Our school tries many many options before doing RTI.  and most of the time they work eventually.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM

 How frustrating!

Can you give us a few more details?  Did you speak to the OT in the schools?  I think what is important is that all assessment be done. Has anyone looked at your childs vision? What has the psychologist said, who is really the person to determine if there is a difference in your child's learning vs physical abiilty.  

Please understand that the school principal is not the "gate keeper" to an IEP.  The special education dept. needs to be involved in this process. The Principal can only refer you to the right person that would delay the assessment process. 

Good luck with getting him assistance. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)