Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Harsh or fair punishment? ETA

Posted by   + Show Post
I wrote a previous post about my daughter passing a note from one friend to another student. The note was not read, written or opened by my daughter, she was the gofer.

Anyways, her teacher sent a referral tithe office about the note. My daughter name was in the referral as the 'middle man' deliverer. The Assistant Principal gave the writer AND my daughter ISS and lunch detention.

After I spoke to her teacher, who agreed my daughter is 99.9% a great kid and student, said if she knew the punishment she would have not sent the referral for my daughter she suggested I contact the Assistant Principal for a conference to see if we can discuss the punishment.

So my question...would you fight it or let it be. Also, there is no set rule regarding passing notes, the reason it was such a big deal was because a 8 year girl was propositioning a boy for sex. In 2nd grade!!!!

Fair or harsh for my daughter?

ETA- I spoke with the AP, nearl a week after the event, she informed me my daughter ONLY had lunch detention and never had ISS. The other child was punishe with ISS. I can deal with a lunch detention!

Also, she has learned. A note was passed to her the other day and she gave it to the teacher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
Yellowlily333
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

To harsh! She did not break any rules. She is a good kid. She should not be punished. The end.

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

If that is the standard punishment, I'd let it go, because any other student would get the same.

I don't think she'll be passing anymore notees anytime soon.

On another note, someone needs to talk to those two fast-tailed students, because that is just ridiculous.

momof2boys2013
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Harsh for your daughter. She had no idea what the note said. 

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I agree with this completely!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

My DD is in 2nd grade too. I wouldn't fight it. Passing notes is disruptive (the writer disrupted DD, she disrupted the boy and I'm guessing the boy disrupted the teacher and class when he got/read the note) and this is a good way to learn that lesson.

I don't think it's a big deal. It's not like she won't get into college because she passed a note in 2nd grade.

As for the content of the note...wow! That's scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting florentina77:

No not everything has to be listed so that children know what to do or not do that is the parents job to teach our children that. What I was ferrering to was if such a harsh punishment is going to be given then it should be listed .The small part she had to play in the matter doesn't equal the punishment . That is the only point I am making.  

That isn't how things work in real life though. Life isn't always fair, but if you are possession in something illegal to pass from one person to another, you most likely would be charged of a crime.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Ditto. But, hopefully, your post will keep others out of trouble, as, for me anyway, I plan to discuss notes with my kids. My kids are 2nd and 4th grades, 8 1/2 and 9 1/2. I hope they stay innocent. Hope.

Quoting zoniechick:

If you daughter is normally a 'good' student, I do believe the punishment does not fit the crime. However, I would not fight it. She was caught doing something considered a no-no. With such a harsh punishment, she will most likely not be passing notes to her classmates.

As for the content, omg! My son is also in second grade and he has no clue what 'sex' is. That is so scrary and to young imo to know about such matters. He knows basic things such as boys and girls are different and his private parts are private, but does not know what the act of sex is.

surprised

florentina77
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I never said she is not guilty of a crime , breaking the rules of PASSING A NOTE in class . BUT that CRIME DOES NOT EQUAL the PUNISHMENT . So yes i would fight that issue . IF the rule breaking that took place was not ever listed on any rule book of the school then when and if a child breaks that rule it should be dealt with on a specific issue and not generally. meaning concider who the child is . is she a good student , a good girl, has she ever been in trouble before . If the answer to all of these questions are NO then you dont thou the book at her only to prove a point that the school will not put up with the context of the note . which by the way the child had no way of knowing . Nor would any one think that something like that would been written in a note by a child in the 2nd grade . Life is not fair because too many people let things happen instead of standing  up for what is right . ISN'T  THAT WHAT YOU ALL TEACH OUR CHILDREN EVERY DAY .

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Harsh for your daughter, I'd talk to the AP and see if they can reduce her sentence

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Yeah I agree. Its a harsh lesson but I bet she won't ever pass a note again.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Unfortunately sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Guilt by association and don't let your friends talk you into something.

I wouldn't fight it. While there may not be a rule that exactly said no note passing, there's probably a rule about disrupting class, Ect that passing a note would fall under.

I agree the content of the note is scary.

Kim  

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I agree

Quoting snowangel1979:

Unfortunately sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Guilt by association and don't let your friends talk you into something.

I wouldn't fight it. While there may not be a rule that exactly said no note passing, there's probably a rule about disrupting class, Ect that passing a note would fall under.

I agree the content of the note is scary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN