Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what activities does your child's school do that you like?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 45 Replies

or that you don't like? What is the cost to you? Is there anything you wish they would do?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My sons school does many different activites...school dances, fun nights, movie nights, and roller skating parties. They all have some costs associated with them, but it's a small price to pay for my son to be social.

mommybug77
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

what size school? What grade is he in? What does the fun night consist of? How is the movie night run? Our school has about 12 kids with a small auditorium, small gym & no cafeteria.

Quoting natesmom1228:

My sons school does many different activites...school dances, fun nights, movie nights, and roller skating parties. They all have some costs associated with them, but it's a small price to pay for my son to be social.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

No cost to me since its a public school.  They have voluntary funds, etc, you can donate to, but otherwise, all costs related to his education are paid for by the county.

As far as some ideas his teachers have done that I like: Word Bird who announces the new sight word for each week.  They break up the reading levels and work with children that are one the same reading level together.

Some things I don't like: I don't think they have the same for math.  Caden is exceptional at math and has mastered addition/subtraction. i  do not get the sense they have touched on that in class yet.  And I don't think the homework matches up with what they are doing in class.  It just doesnt' seem to be related :/.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM
We use a small homeschool based charter school. They have movie nights, proms/dances, field trips. It is kinder through 12th.

We haven't done a field trip yet but will in April, to the Japanese Heritage museum.

They offer free tutoring and just started a student store. DS got "hired" to work it. DD goes to a class, once a week that is like a one-room schoolhouse. It is 1st-5th grade and the older kids mentor and help the younger kids and the younger kids are challenged. She loves it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM
They have at least one field trip per month that they offer and I just don't think to check where they are going.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I am talking more about extracurriculars.

Quoting corrinacs:

No cost to me since its a public school.  They have voluntary funds, etc, you can donate to, but otherwise, all costs related to his education are paid for by the county.

As far as some ideas his teachers have done that I like: Word Bird who announces the new sight word for each week.  They break up the reading levels and work with children that are one the same reading level together.

Some things I don't like: I don't think they have the same for math.  Caden is exceptional at math and has mastered addition/subtraction. i  do not get the sense they have touched on that in class yet.  And I don't think the homework matches up with what they are doing in class.  It just doesnt' seem to be related :/.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The have a bingo for books twice a year. The kids all bring a book to exchange and who ever wins bingo gets a new book. They also buy pizza and drinks for everyone. It's nice.
I love the fall festival but it annoys me that it's only for 2 hours. There's so much to do and so little time to enjoy it all.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Dd's school does dances and quiz nights and other family outings that often cost money. They also offer chess club which we have to pay for but dd loves it so we pay for it. They offer free tutoring, they have spelling bees and science fairs and this week they are doing an invention convention where dd is working with a partner to make an egg drop. They are a school of about 250 students in K-8. They also don't have a kitchen so they eat in the gym and have to pack lunch except on Tuesdays where you have he option to ay for a hot lunch that they have catered in. It works out to a little over $100/yr for that. 

Overall, we love her school but we do wish it wasn't quite so much money for everything since we also have a $500/yr per student materials fee and the gas to get her there and back is $300-$400/month by itself. It is worth it but not much fun. 

They also have Girl Scouts, sports, band and choir for the 5-8 students. 

mommybug77
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM

i like the bingo idea. is it by classroom.?

Quoting aj23:

The have a bingo for books twice a year. The kids all bring a book to exchange and who ever wins bingo gets a new book. They also buy pizza and drinks for everyone. It's nice.
I love the fall festival but it annoys me that it's only for 2 hours. There's so much to do and so little time to enjoy it all.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

No, it's a whole school thing. They do it after school from 5-7 and everyone goes in the cafeteria and sits the book they brought on a row of tables and goes and sits down at the tables with the cards. It's just like a regular bingo game, when the kids get bingo they get to go pick a new book from the collection sitting on another table. About half way in they take a food break then at the end of it  as everyone is going out the door they stop by the tables with the books everyone brought and pick out a book to take home.

The school is prek-8th so there's a lot of variety in the types of books brought and usually about 75 kids show up (there's under 800 kids in the school).

Quoting mommybug77:

i like the bingo idea. is it by classroom.?

Quoting aj23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)