Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Egg Allergy and Green Eggs and Ham! Update!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 38 Replies

Update:  Just got an email from the t eacher.  There's another child with food allergies, and several Muslim children (who don't eat pork) so she's decided to forgo the food related project and do something else unrelated anyway!d

I need a little help!  I know what I'd like to say, but I also want to equip the teacher with alternatives that will help her.

Note 1: My son LOVES Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.  I mean, we read that book nearly nightly.

Note 2: My son has SEVERE allergies to eggs.  One tiny bite of egg will send him into anaphalactic shock!

His teacher just informed me that his class was doing a project related to this book, and it involves cooking green eggs and ham.  He can participate in the ham part......but the whole thing does make me a hint uncomfortable (I'm sure you can imagine).

I hate to send him to another room and miss out on a project related to this book.  I don't mind sending him to another class, however for:

1. He's going to end up sitting across the room from the egg-cooking anyway.  At least in another class, the other students aren't preoccupied with a project he cannot participate in. 

2. Eggs get everywhere. They are slimy and kids aren't the cleanest.  I could see an accidental exposure written all over this project.

This isn't a project I can ammend (like I did for the Gingerbread man where I sent her another recipe).  There's no other recipe for EGGS LOL.

So, here's what I'm proposing.

1. Send him to another class who may be doing a different Dr. Seuss project.

2. Send him to another class with a cool Green Eggs and Ham project that doesn't involve eggs.

Do any of you have any ideas off of the top of your head for other solutions?  I just want to be sure I'm making it easiest on her while keeping my baby safe :) :).

Thanks!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I did buy some fake eggs (plaster and cardboard) from Michael's.  I could send him to school with those to paint as a part of his project!

aj23
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe suggest she make the 'egg' out of pudding and a vanilla waffer?
The kids would probably like the pudding more than a real egg anyways.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

What a cute idea :).  The only problem is that Vanilla Wafers have eggs in them LOL.  But there's gotta be another similar looking cookie we could do this with!

Thank you!

Quoting aj23:

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My son is that allergic to eggs.  He has never been exposed accidentally when eggs were used in a project.  He'd do the part he could do.  His teachers had alternatives.....but talk to the teacher and tell her your contact concerns.  My son is 12 and has not yet ever had an accidental exposure at school.  Ask the teacher for some ideas to, you two come up with it together.  

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Yes they have egg.....but that is cute.  Can you make some egg free cookies cut in round shape like that and have yellow food coloring in the mix and take them as the "yolk" part.  Google egg free cookie recipes for cut out cookies.  There are some out there. 

My son is also allergic to any form of dairy......so eggs and dairy, he would not be able to use this either...but he is 12 now, so not a big deal.

ETA:  good grief frosting not pudding, there is safe frosting out there.....LOL. I need to learn to read.  LOL

Quoting corrinacs:

What a cute idea :).  The only problem is that Vanilla Wafers have eggs in them LOL.  But there's gotta be another similar looking cookie we could do this with!

Thank you!

Quoting aj23:

aj23
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Any cookie you can add food coloring or frosting to would work. Even skipping the cookie and putting yellow pudding in the middle of the green would still make it enough like an egg to work. 

Quoting corrinacs:

Thank you!

Quoting aj23:

corrinacs
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, this is comforting :).  I don't want to offend her by making her think she isn't capable of keeping my son safe either.

Quoting Thelmama:

My son is that allergic to eggs.  He has never been exposed accidentally when eggs were used in a project.  He'd do the part he could do.  His teachers had alternatives.....but talk to the teacher and tell her your contact concerns.  My son is 12 and has not yet ever had an accidental exposure at school.  Ask the teacher for some ideas to, you two come up with it together.  

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Your welcome. My son is also that allergic to all dairy. It has been interesting.  There have been a couple of accidental exposures but never at school.  Hang in there.......it gets better and they know how to react if there were an accident. My kids teachers were trained. If you can give them a copy of any video that came with your child's epi pen or find one and ask if you can show it to them.  My kids elem teachers all had epi pen awareness.  It is worth asking to put your mind at ease.

Quoting corrinacs:

Thank you, this is comforting :).  I don't want to offend her by making her think she isn't capable of keeping my son safe either.

Quoting Thelmama:

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Talk to her more about her preparation and how to be sure egg product doesn't get anywhere where your son could accidently come in contact with eggs. Maybe even suggest that you come and supervise your son for the project so you can be sure he stays away from it.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily, Virginia now has strict guidelines about allergies after that one child died last year of the peanut exposure.  Luckily, they were trained on how to use the Epi-Pen.  Also, on his sheet (that the teacher knows well), and I have told her in person, what a severe allergy attack in Caden looks like.  Luckily, between all of that he should be fine :).

Quoting Thelmama:

Your welcome. My son is also that allergic to all dairy. It has been interesting.  There have been a couple of accidental exposures but never at school.  Hang in there.......it gets better and they know how to react if there were an accident. My kids teachers were trained. If you can give them a copy of any video that came with your child's epi pen or find one and ask if you can show it to them.  My kids elem teachers all had epi pen awareness.  It is worth asking to put your mind at ease.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting Thelmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN