Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

fruit in lunches....

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 61 Replies

So im really curious how you mommas keep all the fruit fresh in your kids lunches?

So far the only fruit my kid will eat after sitting in a lunch box is strawberries & grapes..

She has the "Pack-It" lunch box that was advertised on TV last summer. Its really good & stays cold..

I know sliced apples turn brown quickly. Bananas brown (even when i sent the whole banana it was gross by lunch.. If i slice peaches or kiwi im sure it will be muchy as well..

What gives? What am i missing? I look up lunch ideas and see fruit cut up & think "that wont last until lunch time!!"

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you use Fruit Fresh? It is something you sprinkle on fruit so it does brown or get yucky. I find it in the aisle that has the cake mixes etc in the area where they sell unflavored gelatin and pectin... and canned fruit for pies.

SaraBethKY
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM

The presliced, serving sized baggies of apple slices don't turn brown. They are of course more expensive, but that is what I bring for myself. I have also heard that a few drops of lemon juice on apple slices keeps them freasher. What about cuties? Kids can peel them pretty easily. Or mandarian orange slices?

progressandjoy
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I make a fruit salad and mix with with a lemon syrup (lemon, sugar, and water). It prevents the citrus from the lemon prevents the fruit from browning. Also, you can substitute the sugar for other flavors since the sugar is only used to offset the sour lemon. For substitutions you can use things like honey or cinnamon.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

DD loves grapes and cut up melon for her lunches.  We tried apples but she did not like the solution we put on the apples to prevent browning.  If you can find citric acid in powder form you just sprinkle that on to prevent oxidation.   For bananas, they need to be slightly green so that they dont over ripen in a lunch bag.  Also depending on age of child, sending a whole apple is fine provided they know how to eat around the core.

BKozICan
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I tend to do his veggies for lunch and fruit for breakfast and snack. Raisins, grapes and freeze-dried fruit are okay for a little while. No-sugar-added applesauce comes in single serve packages. Baby carrots, broccoli and chilled steamed asparagus work for lunch.

gcstar42
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

My son takes bananas often and he always eats the whole thing so I guess it is okay lol. For apples I always buy the apple dipper things that come with either peanutbutter or caramel to dip them in. They are already presliced and sealed tightly so they are always fine. And grapes I always just put in a little baggie and those are always fine also. Those are really the main fruits that I ever put in his lunch because those are the three fruits he likes the best. And he just has an insulated lunch box and I put a little frozen ice pack in there. It keeps it cold and is even still cold when I unpack and wash everything in the afternoons.

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Oranges,peeled and sectioned, pears don't brown as much or as quickly as apples.  Fruit canned in water, I don't get the pre-packed snack-size ones, I get the lg cans and send it in small tupperware bowls (no water/juice).  Another thing I do sometimes is make homemade jello cups, I bought a bunch of the single serving size gladware bowls, their fave is orange jello with canned manderin oranges.  I prefer to make them because, while yes it still is jello, I can fill the bowl right to the top with fruit instead of a little bit of fruit floating on the top.  Peach slices in strawberry jello is also really good.

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes too, I core an apple, slice it in rings, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon, "re-assemble" including the core, put in a baggy, sqeeze the air out as you seal to help keep the apple together.  Re-assembling the apple helps prevent browning and the cinnamon helps disguise the little bit it does.  Ds calls them apple donuts.

babygirl4326
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

BUMP!

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I peel cuties for her and bag them. They just come back home if they aren't peeled. I don't send apples. And I send dried banana chips and peanut butter to dip in. Freeze your berries and they'll be nice and crispy at lunch time, but not frozen thru. I'm loving pp apple with cinnamon idea, I'm so doing that tomorrow, but I'll use the wedger.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)