Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Another IEP question **update**

Posted by   + Show Post

What reasons would there be for not wanting parents to have a copy of the evaluations to review before the IEP meeting?

**I just received an email stating the reports will be ready for me to pick up by the end of the day today and that they will keep the Friday meeting scheduled.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Fairywings1223
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We always got copies after the evaluation. As far as I know they like to go over everything first before giving copies.

DyslexiaParent
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't say "ALL" school systems manipulate parents, and it may not be true in YOUR district, but I have worked broadly in special education advocacy and it is true in a LARGE number of school districts.   Typically, schools that do manipulate parents and try to ignore the child's educational rights try to make parents feel like they are "the only ones with a problem" ~ and that simply isn't true either!  The problem really is pervasive in a huge number of school systems.  Letting a parent know they are not alone in their frustration over the whole special education, IEP process IS encouraging!! I'm thankful there ARE some school districts out there who do the job excellently, but many parents don't experience that.  Glad yours does the job right.  ;-)

Quoting thebailiffs:

DyslexiaParent-

To say that ALL schools systems  manipulate parents and ignore their rights is just plan NOT true. I love and welcome most parents input and read and encourage the parents rights. 

I am sorry you have had these issues in your district, it is not the same everywhere. Especially in my school district and my parents.

Let's be encouraging to the OP...

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I have also had bad experiences with this so I absolutely agree with you also I wanted to add I don't think it is necessarily malice on the part of the school (although im sure its possible) I think sometimes they don't know the laws for instance with this specific question legally parents do have a right to review the records before the IEP meeting but a lot of schools do not offer it or in my case did not know that it was my right.
I think the best thing parents can do is research and know your rights so that they are not being violated and read everything thoroughly beforing signing ask questions not just from the school but from an advocate if you feel something isn't setting right with you. I know teachers work hard and have many stresses to deal with so this isn't a jab at teachers I just think a parent is their childs best advocate no one has more invested in that child than the parent.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I didn't say "ALL" school systems manipulate parents, and it may not be true in YOUR district, but I have worked broadly in special education advocacy and it is true in a LARGE number of school districts.   Typically, schools that do manipulate parents and try to ignore the child's educational rights try to make parents feel like they are "the only ones with a problem" ~ and that simply isn't true either!  The problem really is pervasive in a huge number of school systems.  Letting a parent know they are not alone in their frustration over the whole special education, IEP process IS encouraging!! I'm thankful there ARE some school districts out there who do the job excellently, but many parents don't experience that.  Glad yours does the job right.  ;-)

Quoting thebailiffs:

DyslexiaParent-

To say that ALL schools systems  manipulate parents and ignore their rights is just plan NOT true. I love and welcome most parents input and read and encourage the parents rights. 

I am sorry you have had these issues in your district, it is not the same everywhere. Especially in my school district and my parents.

Let's be encouraging to the OP...

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have never had evaulations to review prior to my dd's IEP meetings. We went into the meeting, each therapist read their evaluation, assessment of progress on current goals, whether to add new goals to the IEP, and what services/minutes per week they recommend. And the IEP was updated on the spot, with input from me as well. The IEP was never final drafted until the end of our meeting, and then I had the option to reread and sign within 3 days, or sign on the spot if I felt it was all in order. I also come home with copies of all the evaluations to review/file. I have never felt ill prepared for these meetings. I am involved with my daughter's eduation and have my own observations that I can voice to the specific therapist, and can request goals to add to the IEP. I am an active part of the IEP process at my daughter's school, and never felt manipulated by them or the district. I have always felt that the approach to indivualizing my daughters education has been as a team. I have nothing but positive things to say about the staff at my daughter's school.

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I would imagine each state has their own quirks.

Although - if the IEP is supposed to be designed as a TEAM with the parent's involvement, how is that done when it is written and sent home 5 days prior to the meeting?

Quoting Morrigan333:

Doesn't work that way here in Md. They HAVE to release that to you. Like 5 days prior to the meeting.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I've never seen evaluations sent home prior to the IEP meeting. The professionals explain/interpret the results of evaluations that they completed with the team in the meeting

Suggested IEP goals are typically written up ahead of time, but shared and able to be changed as per the team's recommendations during the meeting.

Parents leave with a copy of the agreed upon IEP and additional papers if requested.

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Your experience is what I have always experienced at an IEP meeting....

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

I have never had evaulations to review prior to my dd's IEP meetings. We went into the meeting, each therapist read their evaluation, assessment of progress on current goals, whether to add new goals to the IEP, and what services/minutes per week they recommend. And the IEP was updated on the spot, with input from me as well. The IEP was never final drafted until the end of our meeting, and then I had the option to reread and sign within 3 days, or sign on the spot if I felt it was all in order. I also come home with copies of all the evaluations to review/file.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Because they require explanation. The psychologist explains it all during the meeting. Giving it to parents ahead of time would result in misinterpretations and confusion.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

If everyone else in the meeting has already had a chance to go over the evaluations why wouldn't it be beneficial for the parent to have that opportunity as well?

That way the parent can have their questions and comments prepared ahead of time and be an active participant in the meeting.

Why do you think everyone has a chance to review them ahead of time?

Our psychologist prepares evaluations and no one sees them before the meeting. No one sees the evaluation I do do prior to the meeting either. 

You can read the report at the meeting with the professionals there to answer questions. You can also follow up afterwards and ask more questions if they come up. 

Have you ever reviewed an evaluation? They are very complicated with many sub tests and different assessment. A parent reading them on her own would have no idea what each section really measured, what scores are expected or what scores indicates problems. 

I've read dozens of them and I still rely and the school psychologist to explain them to me. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Quoting thebailiffs:

Just a guess... They have not completed the assessment. 

Here is an example, I have two IEP's on Friday and I see one of the kids on Thursday.. I want to include the details from my lesson on Thursday in the report. I will send the mom an e-mail explaining my plan and get her feedback.  We have worked together for almost 7 yrs and we have a great relationship. 

I work with almost 30 kids and their families and I teach up to 5 days a week.  Most paperwork is done in the evening on personal time, when I am not paid to be working. 

Try not to take it personal, whatever the reason is. Some teachers have a lot of work to do or assessments, some need to collaborate on the assessments. 

Just a thought..

Good luck! 

That's a good point too. I was evaluating a student this morning for data to include in her IEP today. LOL

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

You are making a lot of assumptions here. 

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

Legally, you--the parents--are supposed to be EQUAL members of the IEP team.  For one of your responders,  It is actually ILLEGAL for the school to form an IEP prior to the meeting--You have not had an opportunity to give your input!! 

The main reason they are likely to give for NOT giving you a copy of the eval ahead of time is because they will tell you they have to present it to you and that is what the IEP meeting is for.. for them to explain it to you.  In TRUTH it is often because they do not view the parent as an equal member of the IEP team and they have no concern about your right to prepare for the meeting. 

You would be within your rights to send them a note and say that if you do not have a copy of the evaluation report at least three days before the IEP meeting it will need to be rescheduled because you need to be provided an equal opportunity to prepare for the IEP meeting.   You can tell them if they feel they must present the report to you in person, then they need to plan a time for the psychologist to give you the evaluation in person and reschedule the IEP meeting if needed.   

From Emotions to Advocacy by Pete Wright (a Special Ed Attorney) is a great book for getting started with understanding how the school systems manipulate parents and ignore their rights.  I've been down that road... HATED IT!!  We ended up homeschooling at the end of Elementary school... My only wish was that we started a LOT SOONER!!  It was SUCH a waste of time and so frustrating to try to get the school system to treat my child, husband, and myself in a way that acknowledged our rights at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)