Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Agree or Disagree?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Agree or Disagree? 
If you agree, how do you think we go about educating our kids to be happy instead of rich?

Some wisdom for your Sunday, young parents.
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't agree or disagree lol. I believe in raising my kids to be successful. Success can lead to financial independence, which in turn can lead to happiness.

JenniL05
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I concur. Happiness is subjective...

Quoting mjande4:

I don't agree or disagree lol. I believe in raising my kids to be successful. Success can lead to financial independence, which in turn can lead to happiness.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Agree 100%. 

Quoting mjande4:

thebailiffs
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Rich is not something I strive for my children to become. Creative, innovative, respectful, kind, giving and productive are all words that I use to help my child.

Happiness is something that is self created. My son is not happy when I make him eat is veggies and don't give him chocolate with every meal. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I'm certainly not rich, nor is financial wealth my primary concern... So you can believe it's not what I'm looking for my son to focus on either.

I'm not totally sure about happy, but I do want him to learn to take joy in life, to love other people well, to strive to do his best... Hm. I think so much of what we teach our children is through day in and day out modeling, at least for some of these intangibles.

TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I agree, to an extent. I want my child to be happy, self-sufficient, and content with his life, not trying to keep up with others. I don't think "happy" and "rich" are mutually exclusive, but I also don't think that "rich" equates to "happy," either.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't buy happiness, yet I don't think that you can teach happiness either.  Happiness is a subjective thing and what makes one happy doesn't quite do it for another.

smushy79
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I am in the middle with this.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I agree.

Quoting mjande4:

family in the van   Mom of four

funny_girl3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I agree with this.  I think the answer is not to emphasize money.  I've heard parents who, when their child said he wanted to be a vet, told him that he should be a doctor instead because doctors make more money.  I think that sends the wrong message.  I think as long as my kids choose some career to train in, whether they go to college or trade school or learn by apprenticeship, they will be successful and able to support themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN