Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

8 year old "stuffing" her bra...what would u do?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

My middle daughter is 8.  She very much a girly girl.. very social, popular...even in 3rd grade they have "groups".  My oldest is 11 and has recently starting developing breasts...so I have been pushing her to wear a little sports bra or training bra.  She hates it... shes the opposite of my middle daughter... straight tom boy.

A while ago someone gave me a bunch of clothes for my oldest.  there were some bras in their like size itty bitty...but they have a little bit of padding in them.  So I thought I threw those ones out.  

One day we were finishing up at school and I looked at my middle daughter and was like wtf???when did she start getting little speed bumps.  I didn't say anything just felt puzzled.  So later that night I realized she had kept one of the padded bras (not exactly stuffed but still) and had worn it to school that day.  I just laughed to myself.  I didnt say anything to her... just let it go.  

Would you have said something to your daughter if she did this?  I figure Ill let it go if I don't make a big deal about it maybe it wont be a big deal to do it.  She hasnt worn it again since that day.  Honestly, I think all I could do was laugh... just because we are at that point with my oldest that shes developing so its kind of a "fun" moment we have between my girls and I.  Trying to make them feel secure with their bodies... my oldest is completely embarrassed and hates it  ... Also, I thought making a big deal of it being inappropriate to wear might make oldest feel worse as well bc she actually is getting breasts.  So i didn't want to to seem like a bad thing to have them.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I wouldn't say anything about it or embarrass/tease her in any way.  She may want to have a bra, some girls at that age do begin to wear them.  So maybe she took the bra to give it a try.  Honestly, I prefer bras that have a light foam in the cups because you tend to notice the nipples less.  I couldn't imagine wearing a bra without, and I'm a D cup.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I wouldnt mention it unless she did.  Perhaps her peers pointed out she didnt need it yet so why wear it.   Maybe since she is a girly girl, she would like undershirts instead of the bra shape.

**side note**  one night my dd decided to put on an old bra of mine over her shirt and said "look at me, i have boobs" with a little chest wiggle   LOL   She will be 7 next month.

chcon
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I read this and realized my oldest is eight and has not asked about this yet. Thanks for the reminder, I'm sure it will be coming soon. And I agree that you should avoid embarrassing or teasing her about it. If she wants to wear one, talk to her, maybe take her shopping and let her choose something you agree to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Kinda ditto. Dd is 8. She's very tall, but very skinny. Like me, nothing yet. I'm still small. :P 

Quoting chcon:

I read this and realized my oldest is eight and has not asked about this yet. Thanks for the reminder, I'm sure it will be coming soon. And I agree that you should avoid embarrassing or teasing her about it. If she wants to wear one, talk to her, maybe take her shopping and let her choose something you agree to.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I agree with not teasing her about it, but I wouldn't let it continue either.

I think girls need to be taught to value their bodies as they are and not to rush into womanhood or to flaunt breasts or any other body  part but to appreciate what they have.

I might offer to buy her a little more grown up pretty undershirt or camisol but a bra is used when needed. Not just to "look grown up."

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

funny_girl3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I feel like probably she has picked up on what her older sister is doing and is imitating her. I think doing nothing about it is fine, probably there are other girls in her class who are wearing training bras already. If she forgets about the bra then great, but if she continues to wear it I would offer to take her to the store and buy her some new camis, like some other people suggested.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I guess I'm the odd mom out, I wouldn't let it continue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN