Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Captain Underpants

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 44 Replies
Do you kids like the books?
We got a bunch if them from a school book fair. We finally got around to reading them and they are actually very cute and funny. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I was never a fan and while I didn't tell my boys that they couldn't read them, I didn't encourage it.  I think my disdain is from the horrible graphics/illustrations.  I was never a fan of the covers.  Having said this, I think the Diary of the Wimpy Kid series is hysterical and they aren't that dissimilar.

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM
My boys loved them. I think they read the whole series. I think they said Ook and Gluck is like a spin off to it. They liked that one too. And try Big Nate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
extremelibrary
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

When my older son was in elementary school he loved them.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM

This is one of the reasons I love it so much.
We got to the fight scene and this is what I saw. I thought I was gonna die laughing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:17 AM

No I am not a fan of Captain Underpants books.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM

My son thinks they are hilarious! He's always telling me he's going to shoot underwear at me... We've only read the first one so far.

The only thing that really bothers me about them is the misspelling of words in the comics drawn by the boys. I don't mind them as read aloud books between my son and I, but I just don't think words that are misspelled on purpose (even to be cute) are that helpful to kids who are learning to read.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh yes I agree!
Especially when the target audience is young kids.
Like chuck e cheese saying its "Funner" drives me nuts!or that show SupahNinjas.... Really?! "Supah?

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

My son thinks they are hilarious! He's always telling me he's going to shoot underwear at me... We've only read the first one so far.

The only thing that really bothers me about them is the misspelling of words in the comics drawn by the boys. I don't mind them as read aloud books between my son and I, but I just don't think words that are misspelled on purpose (even to be cute) are that helpful to kids who are learning to read.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My daughter likes the Super Diaper Baby books, which are like Captain Underpants. Quick read.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

My son liked them when he was younger elementary. He would check them out from the library.

I was surprised that the books are more entertaining than I thought they would be, based on the series name.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Yea I wasn't keen on them at first. I thought for sure it would end up being some Ren and stimpy type humor but I was pleasantly surprised.

Quoting Barabell:

My son liked them when he was younger elementary. He would check them out from the library.

I was surprised that the books are more entertaining than I thought they would be, based on the series name.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)