Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Today my 1st grader teacher came up to me and told me she would like to talk to me about Abby she told me she doesn't think she is ready for 2nd grade and that she is not getting the work. I knew she was having a hard time with math and reading and writing but I didn't know she was doing that bad until today.. I ask her what I can do to help and she told me she wants to talk about next week when I can come in before school.. Abby had IEP but only for speech. I sent her teacher a email asking why am I just finding  out that my kid may not go in to 2nd grade and if she can send home work sheets so I can work with her. I have 2 months before they get out for the summer... Thanks for reading this.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
It's true that they don't usually make the decison until 3rd quarter but they should have let you know that she wasn't getting certain subjects. For that matter, her homework and grades she made on papers she brought home should have given you a clue. I could always tell when the kids weren't getting something and often brought it up first. In K my son was having severe trouble with the basics still in the 2nd period. I worked a little more with him. He was one of those for whom it clicked after Christmas break and he didn't get held back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarahRose
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I knew she was having a hard time. I help her out with her homework every night. I just didn't know it was that bad. I go through her class work every day and if her teacher wrote a note saying she didn't understand it I would try to explain it the best way I could for her and work with her. If i ask her what 8+7 is she just looks at me but if i get 8  sticks on a paper then 7 sticks then she can see it and add it up but if i dont show her then she cant tell me what it is. they way she learns is hands on. I just have to wait to see what her teacher says I would like to see if we can do another IEP testing when what she needs help in and see if she can get extra help at school. As a mom I will help her at home more and give her extra work for her to do. 

Thanks everyone you guys helped a lot!

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Meet with the teacher and find out some ways that you can both work with and help your daughter.  Would summer school be an option?

TarahRose
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM

If summer school is the way to go that would be great!

AA2.0
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:56 AM
I'm with some of the others, wondering how/why you needed the teacher to tell you she's struggling when the homework, tests, and progress reports should have been major indicators that she's been struggling and needs some extra help.

All you can do now is go to the meeting next week and see about setting up tutors for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Go in and talk to the teacher, maybe find some online sites to help, work books, ect.   I don't talk much to my kids teachers except at confrences and things, but I go through their  homework with them and all the papers they bring hom to see how they are doing.

Since you knew she was having trouble with math, reading and writing, have you been working with her on those at home?

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting TarahRose:

I knew she was having a hard time. I help her out with her homework every night. I just didn't know it was that bad. I go through her class work every day and if her teacher wrote a note saying she didn't understand it I would try to explain it the best way I could for her and work with her. If i ask her what 8+7 is she just looks at me but if i get 8  sticks on a paper then 7 sticks then she can see it and add it up but if i dont show her then she cant tell me what it is. they way she learns is hands on. I just have to wait to see what her teacher says I would like to see if we can do another IEP testing when what she needs help in and see if she can get extra help at school. As a mom I will help her at home more and give her extra work for her to do. 

Thanks everyone you guys helped a lot!

With math like that. I taight my kids at that age to make rows of dots next to the problem if they couldn't figure it out so they can do what you were showing her on any paper

TarahRose
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

As a single parent of 3 small kids and no help with the ex I try my best to be there for my kids. Like I said before I knew she was having a hard time I just didn't know it was that bad. I am in the class once a week helping in class. When she told me she was having a hard time I did step up more to help her out at home.  I also asled the teacher  sometimes on how my daughter was doing if she told me she was having a hard time I made sure I work with her more on what she needed. Like last night she read me a book then after I asked her what the book was about and she didn't remember and that was about 5 mins after she got done reading. I also make her write 6 sentence using her spelling words (she only has 6 spelling words) so I am working with her at home.

When my oldies was in 1st grade she was also having a hard time. Her teacher told me she was having a hard I worked with her like I am with my other daughter. But my oldies daughter teacher talk to me and we had a IEP meeting and they tested her then we had a another IEP meeting and she had extra help in school in what she needed.

This teacher never once told me that she thinks she may need extra help in school she just told me that she doesn't think she is ready for 2nd grade. I know this teacher has help in the class the parents like me come in and we help with the kids with their class work or what ever eles they are doing. She has parents come in in the morning and after noon every day for 30 mins to an hour at a time some parents stay for the whole after noon. When I am there the teacher is doing reading time with some kids and I am helping the rest if the class with what they need. I didn't know she had parents in the afternoon helping until last night. I think it is great that as parents we can go in and we can help like that. My daughter told me last night if there is no parent in there to help and if she raise her hand for help the teacher as told her to try her best and that is it. 

Lastnight I went to jump start.com and I looked on what she needs to know in 1st grade so I am going to be with her on those work sheets and I am going to get some learning games for the computer so she can work on that too. I just have to finger out the best way to teach her maybe the way the teacher is teaching she doesn't understand that way. 

TarahRose
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yes I am helping her with math and reading and writing at home and I go though their work that comes home and if I saw she was having a hard time in something then I worked with her more try to explain it to her the way she understands well try too.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

It does seem like the teacher should have said more sooner.  It sounds like you are doing what you can.  It can be hard to tell if the struggles your child is having are so serious that they may need to be held back. You aren't the teacher & aren't trained in this after all.

I hope you can figure out what solution to helps your DD the most.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN