Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bathroom breaks?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 13 Replies

One of the reasons that I decided to put my son in virtual school online rather than in a classroom is the sheer number of times a day that he has to pee!

I've never really um... kept track, but there are times that he will go to the bathroom and not twenty minutes later he is dancing and holding himself again. And I know it's not an infection because it's totally normal for him, no pain, and he actually goes a normal amount each time.

He always has access to water because we rent a water cooler and the kids drink whenever they're thirsty. But I don't think he drinks a crazy amount, and it's good for them, right?

BUT I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is something wrong, like should a normal 6-year-old be peeing this much? Does he have a tiny bladder? How often do kids in classrooms get go to the bathroom? He had a pre-test at the beginning of the year where we had to go to a hotel and meet with a test administrator to see where he was starting out, as far as letters, math, etc. and in the hour and a half they had him, he had to come out and go to the bathroom three times! It wasn't just to get a break, either, he really had to go!

I haven't asked his doctor because he never gets sick and we stopped doing well visits at around 18 months because they always seemed to get sick right after the well visit, so we haven't seen our doctor in a long time.

Edit: OMG this is totally him!

Voiding Dysfunction: some children just do not take the time to empty their bladder, usually because they are afraid they are going to miss something. These children may empty their bladder just enough to relieve pressure, but not enough to really empty all of the urine. Over time, the sphincter muscle that allows you to hold your urine may become overactive making it even harder to completely empty the bladder. If you suspect this is occurring with your child, you can encourage him to try and fully empty his bladder and take his time when he urinates and put him on a voiding schedule so that he urinates every 2-4 hours.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM
That's A LOT for someone his age. It could be that his bladder hasn't matured, but it also could be that because he doesn't have to wait, his body isn't trained to wait.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That seems like a lot of trips to the restroom to me as well.  My boys get 3 restroom breaks during the day at school and they are there from 8:45 until 3:15.

I would be making an appointment with a doctor to see what that problem is.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I would have kept in touch with the doctor for this very reason to make sure his body is developing like the rest of his peers.  Some people do have smaller bladders or weak bladder muscles so when they have to go , they have to go.   Frequent urination and excessive thirst can be signs of diabetes as well.  I would keep track of how much he drinks a day for about a week to see really what the amount is.

DD's school has bathrooms for each class until 4th grade i think so children can go whenever they need to.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I just asked my kids because I had no idea lol- the older two said 1-2 times and my youngest said 0-1.

MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Who knows.. Google around & see if you come up with anything lol..

My only advice would be to not try to "train" him to hold it for a longer time.. Its not good for ANYONE to hold their pee. It backfires on us when we get old!

I've recently thought about all that with dd in kinder.. I know she is going long periods of time without drinking water & is most likely having to hold it for small periods of time..

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I would consider bringing it up to the dr.  It may be no big deal and that's just the way he is or it could be a symptom of something else...

1plustwinsmommy
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I'd ask my doctor because that sounds excessive. But, I'm no doctor so I don't really know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anony111
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Have him checked for diabetes. Excessive bathroom breaks and excessive thirst are some of the symptoms. Just to play it safe!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I agree with how ridiculous schools are about bathroom breaks but I would have him evaulated by a doctor

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM

My 6yo gets a maximum of 3 bathroom breaks per (7 hour) day. Some days he only uses one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)