Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

One of the reasons that I decided to put my son in virtual school online rather than in a classroom is the sheer number of times a day that he has to pee!

I've never really um... kept track, but there are times that he will go to the bathroom and not twenty minutes later he is dancing and holding himself again. And I know it's not an infection because it's totally normal for him, no pain, and he actually goes a normal amount each time.

He always has access to water because we rent a water cooler and the kids drink whenever they're thirsty. But I don't think he drinks a crazy amount, and it's good for them, right?

BUT I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is something wrong, like should a normal 6-year-old be peeing this much? Does he have a tiny bladder? How often do kids in classrooms get go to the bathroom? He had a pre-test at the beginning of the year where we had to go to a hotel and meet with a test administrator to see where he was starting out, as far as letters, math, etc. and in the hour and a half they had him, he had to come out and go to the bathroom three times! It wasn't just to get a break, either, he really had to go!

I haven't asked his doctor because he never gets sick and we stopped doing well visits at around 18 months because they always seemed to get sick right after the well visit, so we haven't seen our doctor in a long time.

Edit: OMG this is totally him!

Voiding Dysfunction: some children just do not take the time to empty their bladder, usually because they are afraid they are going to miss something. These children may empty their bladder just enough to relieve pressure, but not enough to really empty all of the urine. Over time, the sphincter muscle that allows you to hold your urine may become overactive making it even harder to completely empty the bladder. If you suspect this is occurring with your child, you can encourage him to try and fully empty his bladder and take his time when he urinates and put him on a voiding schedule so that he urinates every 2-4 hours.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Replies (11-13):
anony111
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

BUMP!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I'd have brought him to the doctor before making the drastic step of pulling him out of school.   That doesn't make sense to me.  Three times in 90 minutes is definitely much more than most 6 year olds need to go.  I'd have him evaluated.  While it may not be likely, diabetes could be a concern.  

SwtSnowflake2
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I'd see the doctor. My son drinks a lot and pees a lot but not that much. It can also be a sign of diabetes. Or it could be bladder issues. The only real way to know is to talk to a doctor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN