Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

toddlers and flash cards. .... what do u think?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 31 Replies
So my baby is pretty smart! Of course i am biased but whatever. She is just barely 2. I got her an aqua doodle and drew shapes for her.....she picked up on them right away. I got her a simple puzzle for shapes. She loves it, and can name them all no problem. I was impressed at how quick so my mom picked up flash cards 1 to 25. She can count to 13 with 1 to 1 correlation easily so i tried the flash cards for about a week a couple times a day. I dropped them today and they went everywhere. She helped pick em up and said 18 as she picked up the 18. So cool. I also have the alphabet up and i ooint when i sing the song. Plus i just point to one and say it randomly. So today when she pointed out the 18 i walked to the wall pointed at the f and asked her " whats that?" She said f. Omg baby genius.

I put up a coupke sight words left over from ss. Yes, no, sit, and run. We looked at them about 5 times today. Then i asked her where is the yes? Yep she pointed rightat it. She is 25 months.

She is really motivated at the moment to know the answer to things. To do things the right way. She is proud to know what to do with a wrapper and such. Im really impressed with her. Yeh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

That's awesome!

family in the van   Mom of four

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh. I think that is too young for flash cards or any formal education. They can learn a lot through play but that is just me.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I tend to believe flash cards, i.e., "my baby can read" gimmicks are just that, gimmicks.  Young children learn through hands on activities like building blocks, etc.  I am sure as a parent, it makes you feel better, but as educational advancement, no. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

One of my 3 year old's favorite games is when I throw the batch of flashcards on the floor and ask him to *stomp* on the "A" or the "M" (etc). He would never sit still long enough to drill (and I have no desire to drill my 3 year old, lol), but between play, games, books, and throwing around flashcards, he can identify his numbers, count forward and back, can say and recognize his alphabet and is now working on phonics (a la Reading Eggs on the compuer since his writing skills are still very much those of a three year old, lol).

We have a whiteboard in the hallway (I homeschool his older sister and will homeschool him as well, so the setup is available to him) and he enjoys tracing his letters on it. There's *something* about a whiteboard and kids... I'm not sure WHY the appeal is there, but it is, lol. Even my eldest (almost 12) loves working at the board... silly kids :P

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Dd never used flashcards she was on starfall all the time. By 2 she knew her ABC's,numbers up to 20 and will spell everything she saw. But if you feel that it helps her go for it. It's never too early for them to start learning
RatherBeReading
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

As long as she is enjoying the learning, I would keep going. www.starfall.com is a fun site for little ones to visit and play around....learning letters, sounds and reading. Maybe label some household things with sticky notes to encourage the reading....easy things like table, chair, drawer, sink, wall etc. Have fun with it, and don't force it  :)

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM
I agree

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Eh. I think that is too young for flash cards or any formal education. They can learn a lot through play but that is just me.

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM
We use starfall too, starting prek age

Quoting RatherBeReading:

As long as she is enjoying the learning, I would keep going. www.starfall.com is a fun site for little ones to visit and play around....learning letters, sounds and reading. Maybe label some household things with sticky notes to encourage the reading....easy things like table, chair, drawer, sink, wall etc. Have fun with it, and don't force it  :)

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Thats great.

I spend more time teaching while playing. Like at the park my daughter who is 3 can name the colors of the equipment, the shapes, is learning up/down, in/out, ect. She can count to about 15 or so(she has been able to since 2). She knows other stuff too, I just can't think of it all. Kids pick up things pretty quickly

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I agree. My oldest sounds like your daughter.  What I used to do instead was as we took walks, I would point at something and ask "what color is that?" or "how many slides do you see?"....stuff like that.  I agree with PP that flash cards are just gimmacks for that age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)