Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddlers and flash cards. .... what do u think?

Posted by   + Show Post
So my baby is pretty smart! Of course i am biased but whatever. She is just barely 2. I got her an aqua doodle and drew shapes for her.....she picked up on them right away. I got her a simple puzzle for shapes. She loves it, and can name them all no problem. I was impressed at how quick so my mom picked up flash cards 1 to 25. She can count to 13 with 1 to 1 correlation easily so i tried the flash cards for about a week a couple times a day. I dropped them today and they went everywhere. She helped pick em up and said 18 as she picked up the 18. So cool. I also have the alphabet up and i ooint when i sing the song. Plus i just point to one and say it randomly. So today when she pointed out the 18 i walked to the wall pointed at the f and asked her " whats that?" She said f. Omg baby genius.

I put up a coupke sight words left over from ss. Yes, no, sit, and run. We looked at them about 5 times today. Then i asked her where is the yes? Yep she pointed rightat it. She is 25 months.

She is really motivated at the moment to know the answer to things. To do things the right way. She is proud to know what to do with a wrapper and such. Im really impressed with her. Yeh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I don't believe in flash cards for that age.  Actually in my early childhood education classes we were taught not to use them or even worksheets any more than had to be used.

From a flash card she will start learning that number on the flash card but she doesn't learn to use it in the world.  Instead start pointing things out in life.  Play games together.  If you want to teach her numbers write numbers on blocks the two of you can put in order.  Just have fun.  She should also be working on things like cutting and pasting, beading, etc.  You can start letter sounds which have far more importance in reading and spelling than the names.  

Quite honestly everything she has done up to this point has been memorization which comes pretty easy to little ones.   Sounds like she is doing great at memorizing but make sure you take it outside of the flash cards and have fun.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I don't believe in flash cards for that age.  Actually in my early childhood education classes we were taught not to use them or even worksheets any more than had to be used.

From a flash card she will start learning that number on the flash card but she doesn't learn to use it in the world.  Instead start pointing things out in life.  Play games together.  If you want to teach her numbers write numbers on blocks the two of you can put in order.  Just have fun.  She should also be working on things like cutting and pasting, beading, etc.  You can start letter sounds which have far more importance in reading and spelling than the names.  

Quite honestly everything she has done up to this point has been memorization which comes pretty easy to little ones.   Sounds like she is doing great at memorizing but make sure you take it outside of the flash cards and have fun.

I agree.  They memorize it but they can't put it into context.  It's like when  parent says their child knows her ABCs.....when, really, they just memorized a song. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I also agree with you. I didn't use flashcards either, but instead pointed out everyday objects and learning opportunities. Then again, my son went to a pre-school type, educational daycare, and so I figured he had exposure to age-appropriate learning opportunities throughout the week in addition to what we did at home.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We didn't use flashcards either and my boys were doing basic addition at 2 years old.  They learned a lot through playing and interacting with me.  A trip to the grocery store is a lesson in letters, numbers, shapes, colors, etc.  I found learning opportunities all over the place and my boys still have a great love of learning, even the 12 year old.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Mine did too and even they didn't use flash cards. They did a lot of bean counting, colors through art, etc.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I also agree with you. I didn't use flashcards either, but instead pointed out everyday objects and learning opportunities. Then again, my son went to a pre-school type, educational daycare, and so I figured he had exposure to age-appropriate learning opportunities throughout the week in addition to what we did at home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Some kids have the personality to want to learn in that kind of way- go for it! :-) My older two would have had no interest (at least that young)... my youngest- definitely. He knew his alphabet by 21 months because he would play this game where he'd bring me a fridge magnet letter and I'd name it and do something funny to go with the sound of the letter (ie: he'd bring a "Z" and I'd say "Z" and then zip a zipper and say "Ziiiippppp!"). He was just ready to learn then (I don't remember doing flashcards specifically, but he would have been into it). Whereas, if I had done that with my older kids it would have just been for fun and play because they just weren't ready for those concepts at that age.

At 2.5 we discovered by accident that he knew his numbers up to 100 and could write them all! It started with him walking into the room where my dad's b-day cake was and saying, "There's a 61 on that cake!" and that same day progressed to my mom writing all kinds of numbers and he knew them. We'd never taught him. Then he took the pencil from my mom and started drawing whatever number she would say! Up to that point I'd only ever seen him daw scribbles. Needless to say I was floored! He's never stopped amazing us with how fast he learns! I'm still not sure when he learned his numbers.

Sounds very possible that you will have a gifted kiddo on your hands. My youngest is in gifted and tested in the very superior range on his IQ test last year in 1st grade.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I agree.  They memorize it but they can't put it into context.  It's like when  parent says their child knows her ABCs.....when, really, they just memorized a song. 

I agree that sometimes that can be the case, but not always. As a Family Studies major I would have been adamently against the use of flashcards or worksheets for young kids- until my 3rd child! My youngest just liked things like fridge magnets and worksheets. He's a very motivated self-teacher. He knew his letters by 21 months and we discovered that he knew his numbers to 100 at 2.5, but I have no idea when he learned them. It wasn't just memorization in his case. He was very good at figuring out what the numbers meant and how to manipulate them. He taught himself addition, multiplication, and the concept of negative numbers and how to add and subtract with them-- before preschool. Granted, this is rare, I know! But possible and there are kids that actually prefer to learn this way.

That said I would definitely NOT cram flashcards down a kid's throat who had no interest. If I'd have done that with my older kids I probably would have squashed their desire to learn.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I don't think his daycare used flashcards either. It was more hands-on.

Quoting M4LG5:

Mine did too and even they didn't use flash cards. They did a lot of bean counting, colors through art, etc.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

That's awesome :)

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM
We use Starfall to.

Quoting Precious333:

We use starfall too, starting prek age

Quoting RatherBeReading:

As long as she is enjoying the learning, I would keep going. www.starfall.com is a fun site for little ones to visit and play around....learning letters, sounds and reading. Maybe label some household things with sticky notes to encourage the reading....easy things like table, chair, drawer, sink, wall etc. Have fun with it, and don't force it  :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)