Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

toddlers and flash cards. .... what do u think?

Posted by   + Show Post
So my baby is pretty smart! Of course i am biased but whatever. She is just barely 2. I got her an aqua doodle and drew shapes for her.....she picked up on them right away. I got her a simple puzzle for shapes. She loves it, and can name them all no problem. I was impressed at how quick so my mom picked up flash cards 1 to 25. She can count to 13 with 1 to 1 correlation easily so i tried the flash cards for about a week a couple times a day. I dropped them today and they went everywhere. She helped pick em up and said 18 as she picked up the 18. So cool. I also have the alphabet up and i ooint when i sing the song. Plus i just point to one and say it randomly. So today when she pointed out the 18 i walked to the wall pointed at the f and asked her " whats that?" She said f. Omg baby genius.

I put up a coupke sight words left over from ss. Yes, no, sit, and run. We looked at them about 5 times today. Then i asked her where is the yes? Yep she pointed rightat it. She is 25 months.

She is really motivated at the moment to know the answer to things. To do things the right way. She is proud to know what to do with a wrapper and such. Im really impressed with her. Yeh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
heathercm26
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Thank u. Of course we dont push them on her and we only do a few minutes at a time. I quit before she is sick of it. I dont see much reason in only teaching "hands on" and not traditional at all. I notice its the teachers who are against it. I wonder why expising children to letters and numbers is "bad". Lol

Quoting SahmTam:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I don't believe in flash cards for that age.  Actually in my early childhood education classes we were taught not to use them or even worksheets any more than had to be used.

From a flash card she will start learning that number on the flash card but she doesn't learn to use it in the world.  Instead start pointing things out in life.  Play games together.  If you want to teach her numbers write numbers on blocks the two of you can put in order.  Just have fun.  She should also be working on things like cutting and pasting, beading, etc.  You can start letter sounds which have far more importance in reading and spelling than the names.  

Quite honestly everything she has done up to this point has been memorization which comes pretty easy to little ones.   Sounds like she is doing great at memorizing but make sure you take it outside of the flash cards and have fun.

I agree.  They memorize it but they can't put it into context.  It's like when  parent says their child knows her ABCs.....when, really, they just memorized a song. 

I agree that sometimes that can be the case, but not always. As a Family Studies major I would have been adamently against the use of flashcards or worksheets for young kids- until my 3rd child! My youngest just liked things like fridge magnets and worksheets. He's a very motivated self-teacher. He knew his letters by 21 months and we discovered that he knew his numbers to 100 at 2.5, but I have no idea when he learned them. It wasn't just memorization in his case. He was very good at figuring out what the numbers meant and how to manipulate them. He taught himself addition, multiplication, and the concept of negative numbers and how to add and subtract with them-- before preschool. Granted, this is rare, I know! But possible and there are kids that actually prefer to learn this way.

That said I would definitely NOT cram flashcards down a kid's throat who had no interest. If I'd have done that with my older kids I probably would have squashed their desire to learn.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think that anyone is saying that it is bad to teach your child letters and numbers, they are just saying that memorizing flash cards may not be the best way to go about teaching letters and numbers.  I suggested the hands on approach because it is typically much more fun for the little ones than sitting and memorizing cards.  Since you didn't mention any form of learning other than flash cards in your OP, I figured that you may not realize that you can teach through every day life, too.

BTW - not a teacher.  Just the mother of two very intelligent boys who love school and learning.

Quoting heathercm26:

Thank u. Of course we dont push them on her and we only do a few minutes at a time. I quit before she is sick of it. I dont see much reason in only teaching "hands on" and not traditional at all. I notice its the teachers who are against it. I wonder why expising children to letters and numbers is "bad". Lol

Quoting SahmTam:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I don't believe in flash cards for that age.  Actually in my early childhood education classes we were taught not to use them or even worksheets any more than had to be used.

From a flash card she will start learning that number on the flash card but she doesn't learn to use it in the world.  Instead start pointing things out in life.  Play games together.  If you want to teach her numbers write numbers on blocks the two of you can put in order.  Just have fun.  She should also be working on things like cutting and pasting, beading, etc.  You can start letter sounds which have far more importance in reading and spelling than the names.  

Quite honestly everything she has done up to this point has been memorization which comes pretty easy to little ones.   Sounds like she is doing great at memorizing but make sure you take it outside of the flash cards and have fun.

I agree.  They memorize it but they can't put it into context.  It's like when  parent says their child knows her ABCs.....when, really, they just memorized a song. 

I agree that sometimes that can be the case, but not always. As a Family Studies major I would have been adamently against the use of flashcards or worksheets for young kids- until my 3rd child! My youngest just liked things like fridge magnets and worksheets. He's a very motivated self-teacher. He knew his letters by 21 months and we discovered that he knew his numbers to 100 at 2.5, but I have no idea when he learned them. It wasn't just memorization in his case. He was very good at figuring out what the numbers meant and how to manipulate them. He taught himself addition, multiplication, and the concept of negative numbers and how to add and subtract with them-- before preschool. Granted, this is rare, I know! But possible and there are kids that actually prefer to learn this way.

That said I would definitely NOT cram flashcards down a kid's throat who had no interest. If I'd have done that with my older kids I probably would have squashed their desire to learn.

calsmom62
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as its fun, great..when and if it becomes more about what she is doing as a reflection of you then it would be too much. Remember too that if even if she is a genius(aren't all of our kids?), all things in balance. Play, social skills, time to stare at the dust floating on the suns rays through the window, and being read to, taught to share and take turns all have their place. Enjoy your wonderful sweet toddler ...they grow up so fast
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We did when my kids were younger too. :) and, LOVE your profile pic, btw. :) 

as for flash cards, I say, if you and your dd want to, go for it! :)

Quoting Precious333:

We use starfall too, starting prek age

Quoting RatherBeReading:

As long as she is enjoying the learning, I would keep going. www.starfall.com is a fun site for little ones to visit and play around....learning letters, sounds and reading. Maybe label some household things with sticky notes to encourage the reading....easy things like table, chair, drawer, sink, wall etc. Have fun with it, and don't force it  :)

heathercm26
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM
I dont think she could have anymore fun than she is having. She points to the cupboard and says "flashcards peeeeaaas" takes me by the hand and pulls me over to the cupboard and says "open. Get da flashcards mama. Do it. Do it". I get them and she tells me "thats nice" and pets my leg. We sit on the floor and flash through them 1-25 takes about 30 seconds. Her repeating after me when i name the number. Today took a bit.longer because she screamed with delight snatched the 8 from me and said "beautiful. Circles. 1....2 . Two circles mama. Beautiful." Then she gave it back and said "nine" while i was putting the eight away. She sat on her hands and wiggled her shoulders up and down really fast while smiling and biting her bottom lip.

Later she was playing with her blocks and saw 2 more under the couch. She pulled them out and counted 1...2... smiled mischievously at me and said 3456 and fell down laughing. I laughed too. Then she went to the wall where the numbers are taped up and pointed to the 5. And very seriously named it a six. Oh well. I pointed to the 6 and said six. She moved her hand over and repeated me.

I dont care if she is just memorising them. She has picked up on the concept that there is meaning to what is written. She has picked up that there is more to counting then just saying 1-10 as all one word.

When u think about it a toddler is awake about 12 hours a day. She plays and explores about 11 of them. Its impossible to stop it even of you tried. Taking the extra effort to sprinkle in flash cards as well as some gimmicky videos seems reasonable to me.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I don't think that anyone is saying that it is bad to teach your child letters and numbers, they are just saying that memorizing flash cards may not be the best way to go about teaching letters and numbers.  I suggested the hands on approach because it is typically much more fun for the little ones than sitting and memorizing cards.  Since you didn't mention any form of learning other than flash cards in your OP, I figured that you may not realize that you can teach through every day life, too.

BTW - not a teacher.  Just the mother of two very intelligent boys who love school and learning.

Quoting heathercm26:

Quoting SahmTam:

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:49 AM

That is awesome! Way to go little one!

Way to go Mom.

wedding countdown

Tryshx
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM

We used flash cards starting at age 3 but we made it a game and not "studying" or "homework" time.  He would "win" the cards he got correctly and he loved doing it.

mbrowne1
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Sounds like she is having lots of fun - keep at it with no pressure. Follow her lead and see where it goes. My first was like this and yes, he knew the letters in context and could read books geared at grade 1-2 just after he turned 3. Some kids are just wired that way. The earlier you accept it and roll with it, the happier everyone in your family will be!

mrjonesii
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

As long as its fun for the both of you go for it. I also encourage leap frog DVDs. I taught dd a lot of things before kindergarten. Letter sounds wasn't one of them. She learned that in watching the video. 

It's not too early to teach your little ones things. I have had teachers thank me for it. 

sarahjoy
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Every child learns differently... I have some students that do wonderful with flash cards and some that do not.

My class last year did TONS of fun games and play learning activities in my kindergarten class... and this year... they do terrible at those same activities.  I had to completely change how I teach this year bc this class can not handle anything like those activities... this class actually loves plain old worksheets and flash cards.  I don't like it but they learn better with them so thats what I do.   

There are also alot of fun games to do with flash cards!  I have an Uh Oh game I do.  and you throw in different color cards and when those are pulled the kids turn around and touch the ground while saying Uh Oh!.  They love it.  I use number cards in the alphabet cards as the Uh Oh cards so they can see the difference between numbers and letters.  They love this game.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)