Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My DS is in grade 2 I want to start doing definitions of words and such...I was talking to another parent and she said that grade 2 is too young...Thing is he is reading chapter books, and loves learning but is that too much pressure ...as of now I am not homeschooling him....but if I get approved for Disabilty (meaning I can stay home since I am a single mom) I am really thinking about it

I am thinking the simple words the habitate and all then words like metapher and everything...

Please dont bash my spelling right now...I will be spelling them on the flash cards right!

And he already knows the meaning of most words but I want the more complex words and such...Or will he be bored in grade 3 cause I am doing too much this year. (happened in grade1 and 2)

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
jamianne
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

My son's in 1st grade and he has six vocabulary words each week to learn and they get tested on Fridays.  So I'd say 2nd is not too young at all.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

My son is in 2nd grade and has a list of 25-30 spelling words each week (each weeks' words have a theme- this week they have words that end in -s or -es: a few examples from his list: stitches, glasses, pieces, taxes, months). They have to know how to spell them, but also need to know what they mean as they have to create sentences for some of the words for the spelling test. 

In addition, he has a list of 7-8 vocabulary words each week. This week's words are confirm, indicate, gracious, declare, inscription, humane, and diplomat.

I don't think 2nd grade is too young at all. My kids have had sight words that they needed to be able to recognize and spell since K and they learned new words in K (though they didn't call it vocab then) and have had spelling words and vocab words since 1st grade.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I don't see why not..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I homeschool my kindergartener and he does vocabulary words.  We use the wordly wise program and we love it!  I started with the kindergarten level but quickly discovered he knew all of those words so we moved up to the first grade level.

It makes it fun.  It teaches through pictures and stories.  My son loves it :)

So nope, not too young at all.

gonecrazi
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I say go for it. If he is ready to learn then teach him.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I would find a vocabulary resource and use that.  The kids I teach use "Red Hot Root Words" to learn greek/latin root words.  If you find a  grade level appropriate book (or one for grades 2-4 or something), it shoudl be fine.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you assume that's not happening at school- is he learning new words? Does he use new words in conversation? Just because there is not a formal test called vocab test doesn't mean those things aren't bring taught. They are learning new words/definitions in science and social studies- it may not be a language arts function right now.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM

My kids never got official vocabulary words in 1st and 2nd grade, just spelling words, but they were learning vocab. through various lessons in class. I'd be very surprised if your ds isn't learning any.

Having said that, if he wants to learn extra words at home, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't teach him some. However, unless he enjoys flashcards, I wouldn't use them. You can make up sories, create your own vocabulary spelling lists on http://www.spellingcity.com/, heck, just use bigger words in your normal conversation. Dd is in 1st grade, and I forget the context, but I said "demonstration purposes" in one of our conversations this morning, and she knew what I meant.

sarahjoy
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

All grades starting in kindergarten are required to teach vocabulary ... which would include definitions.  I do 5 vocabulary words a week in kindergarten.  They also have to use them in sentences and draw pictures to describe what they mean.  As well as telling words that are the same and different. 

Some words I've used in lessons are:  produce, unload, cooperation, gulp, habitat 

And these are kindergarten vocabulary words.

calsmom62
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Wordmaster is an awesome program!

Quoting Barabell:

My son's school started using Wordmasters in 3rd grade, but he was studying vocabulary since kindergarten. So I don't think it's too young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)