Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DS is in grade 2 I want to start doing definitions of words and such...I was talking to another parent and she said that grade 2 is too young...Thing is he is reading chapter books, and loves learning but is that too much pressure ...as of now I am not homeschooling him....but if I get approved for Disabilty (meaning I can stay home since I am a single mom) I am really thinking about it

I am thinking the simple words the habitate and all then words like metapher and everything...

Please dont bash my spelling right now...I will be spelling them on the flash cards right!

And he already knows the meaning of most words but I want the more complex words and such...Or will he be bored in grade 3 cause I am doing too much this year. (happened in grade1 and 2)

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (21-25):
iuangina
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

How is he not doing vocabulary in school?  

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitions of words? Are you asking if your chosen vocabulary words are too complicated for a 2nd grader? If so I'd suggest sharing a longer list ti get opinions, but children learn vocabulary and meaning from the moment they learn to talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I would not recommend it.
It is early for reading much, more reasonable to work on comprehension instead.    Just hearing stories read aloud works!
For boredom try doing other activities, work on creativity.

:-)

GL!

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM

2nd grade is DEFINITELY not too young! My 8yo DD is in 3rd grade, and they were doing definitions last year. Go for it!

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 10 months old

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM

He is definately not too young; but I would use wordmaster

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)