Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 times in 2 months. What would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
  • 13 Replies
About 6 weeks ago I noticed my 7 yr old dd had lice. I treated our heads, washed everything, dryed it, the whole 9 yards. It took hours and 2 ddays out of school to be sure we got it all.
A week later, more lice. Treated again, blah blah blah.
10 days later. More lice treated again. Added tea tree oil to shampoo. Got lice repelant spray. Ive been spraying and checking daily.
Good for a week, them school vacation came. Good all vacation. Went back to school monday. Today, lice again. I have no idea what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmp1279
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

have you by chance mentioned this to the teacher? 

MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Yes I have. I right they sent notes home when someone gets lice... I don't know if they have or not since she misses school at least one day when I find them.

Quoting jmp1279:

have you by chance mentioned this to the teacher? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Are you putting their coats, hats, and backpacks in the dryer for 30-40 minutes every afternoon?  Did you bag up all of their stuff animals and non-washable soft items in an air tight bag for at least 2 weeks?  You can also get a spray to treat your couch and other upholstered furniture.

Kathy489
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Pay attention to who her friends are. Maybe the other families aren't treating their children, and the lice keeps getting passed back and forth.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I actually washed and dried the stuffed animals lol. Ill try the spray for the couches and whatnot. No one else in the house gets them. She is the only one. I treated myself as a precaution.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Are you putting their coats, hats, and backpacks in the dryer for 30-40 minutes every afternoon?  Did you bag up all of their stuff animals and non-washable soft items in an air tight bag for at least 2 weeks?  You can also get a spray to treat your couch and other upholstered furniture.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

You can mention it to the teacher as well.  Do they have lockers or do they hang their coats and backpacks on hooks?  If they have hooks, the teacher may want to start having the kids bag their coats and backpacks to avoid them touching and passing the lice back and forth.  This is what they do in our school when there is a series of cases of lice in a classroom.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

I actually washed and dried the stuffed animals lol. Ill try the spray for the couches and whatnot. No one else in the house gets them. She is the only one. I treated myself as a precaution.

Quoting steelcrazy:

a06z08mama
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
At my son's school they have to put their coats into their backpacks. Even when there isn't an outbreak just to be precautionary
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I'd pull my kid out of that school.. That's crazy! My daughter has had lice once in her life, in the first grade. My other two have never had it.. 4 times in two months is crazy.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

How frustrating for you! I've never had to deal with lice, thankfully, so I don't have any advice.  I know that where my neice goes to school they seem to have constant problems.  All of their backpacks, coats, etc immediately go into a plastic bag when they get there. 

cguffey
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

make sure you get everything in her room sprayed or washed that is cloth. Also make sure you do the seat where she sits in the car.stuffed animals I always just put in a garbage bag in the garage for a week or more. You have to make sure you get every couch or cloth chair in the house. It's a pain, but keep at it...Also let her go a few days without washing her hair...they love clean hair. Unfortunately the school my kids used to go to had it alot so we have dealt with it a few times. Feel free  to pm me with questions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)