Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
do you expect parents to stay at parties for 6/7 yr olds? i am so not in the mood to feed or entertain adults this time! is there ever a way to hint kids only?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting post. The kids in our neighborhood that came to my kids' party w/o their parents, but we do know all the parents, and I have the moms cell numbers. :) I also invited many mommy friends with kids, most of whom are also friends with my kids. We just got a lot of pizza and pop. Lol we do a double party, since my kids' bday are close in date, and they are 12 1/2 mos apart in age, so they have many common friends. :)

TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

My ds is 8, and I still stay. I don't expect to be fed or entertained, though. I'm there for my son, not me.

WonderWomanSV
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I am taking ds to his first party of a school friend. (they are 6) I planned on staying, but trying to stay out of the way. If other parents are leaving though, I wouldn't mind dropping him off. I guess I'll play it by ear.

weirdkids
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:25 AM

just put on the invitation "drop and go" lol the only time i require a parent to stay is if the child has severe allergies and didnt come prepared or if the child is severe special needs.

Tryshx
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I expect to stay because I'm kinda overprotective honestly.  DSS is invited to a birthday party for a little boy turing 6 on Sunday and both DH and I are planning on attending.  We don't leave our child with anyone that's not a close family friend or actually family.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
If the invite implied I wasn't to stay with my first grader and I didn't know the parent, I wouldn't let her go. Do you know all of the parents? If not, be prepared for less kids to come; I know a good deal of parents who feel the same way I do. Personally I would find it strange that someone wanted all those kids there with no parent and would definitely pass.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

It depends on the event.  At venue parties, I stay, because they are usually places that have tons of people and are spread out, so at age 6, I do not consider her safe at such places (from injury/abduction, etc.).  When people have home parties now, I typically drop her off.  She goes to a small, private school, and i know most of her friend's parents well.  At the last party she went to, the mom had a piece of paper to get the mom's name and cell phone number.  That was a cue to people to go.  She did say, stay or go, but no one stayed! 

Back in the day (when we were young), we were always dropped off, so I don't know why people find that strange.  Also, birthday parties get much smaller starting in 1st grade, so there are rarely 20 kids in a person's house.  If it is that type of party, typically parents stay.  DD has one friend who has several parties per year and they go all out (catered, rented inflatables, face painter, etc.) and it is for kids and their families.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

While I agree, at 6 years old, there is NO excuse for the child NOT knowing their parent's cellphone number.  They should have it memorized BEFORE they go to school.  To answer the OP, no I would not stay and I don't know anyone who does.  All birthday parties starting in kindergarten here, are drop off. 

Quoting calsmom62:

But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I would never just leave my kids with someone. I am also not a babysitter so I would expect parents to stay.

mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I don't think twice about my 6 y/o not knowing my cell. She has never once had to call it. Lots of kids don't memorize their numbers before school.

Quoting mjande4:

While I agree, at 6 years old, there is NO excuse for the child NOT knowing their parent's cellphone number.  They should have it memorized BEFORE they go to school.  To answer the OP, no I would not stay and I don't know anyone who does.  All birthday parties starting in kindergarten here, are drop off. 

Quoting calsmom62:

But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)