Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
do you expect parents to stay at parties for 6/7 yr olds? i am so not in the mood to feed or entertain adults this time! is there ever a way to hint kids only?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

your child would have one lonely party as most here are not going to drop off at that age.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

To me it is common sense to have your children know how to reach you.  It's right up there with knowing their address.  Yikes.  Just because a lot of kids don't do it, doesn't mean it's a smart move.

Quoting mommybug77:

I don't think twice about my 6 y/o not knowing my cell. She has never once had to call it. Lots of kids don't memorize their numbers before school.

Quoting mjande4:

While I agree, at 6 years old, there is NO excuse for the child NOT knowing their parent's cellphone number.  They should have it memorized BEFORE they go to school.  To answer the OP, no I would not stay and I don't know anyone who does.  All birthday parties starting in kindergarten here, are drop off. 

Quoting calsmom62:

But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

11 numbers is a lot for a kid to remember. Also she doesn't know her address, so what. She has never had to. I don't leave my kids with random people that I don't know personally.

Quoting mjande4:

To me it is common sense to have your children know how to reach you.  It's right up there with knowing their address.  Yikes.  Just because a lot of kids don't do it, doesn't mean it's a smart move.

Quoting mommybug77:

I don't think twice about my 6 y/o not knowing my cell. She has never once had to call it. Lots of kids don't memorize their numbers before school.

Quoting mjande4:

While I agree, at 6 years old, there is NO excuse for the child NOT knowing their parent's cellphone number.  They should have it memorized BEFORE they go to school.  To answer the OP, no I would not stay and I don't know anyone who does.  All birthday parties starting in kindergarten here, are drop off. 

Quoting calsmom62:

But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Do you ever go shopping, send your kids to school, etc.  Are your kids latched to your wrist at all times!?  You are saying that there is no possible way that your kids could get separated from you?  First of all, that's not healthy for anyone.  Second, it's a safety mechanism and I am by far NOT a helicopter mom.  I do not have to accompany my children everywhere.  It is, not only naive, but seriously stupid to not "arm" your children with the knowledge of where they live and how to get a hold of their parent.

Quoting mommybug77:

11 numbers is a lot for a kid to remember. Also she doesn't know her address, so what. She has never had to. I don't leave my kids with random people that I don't know personally.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting calsmom62:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM

As for remembering 11 numbers, are you kidding me!?  From the time that they enter kindergarten they have at least a 6 digit ID number to login to everything at school.  I have never known a child to NOT be able to memorize their phone number.  That's just lazy.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting calsmom62:

mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What are you talking about? My kids don't login at school.

Quoting mjande4:

As for remembering 11 numbers, are you kidding me!?  From the time that they enter kindergarten they have at least a 6 digit ID number to login to everything at school.  I have never known a child to NOT be able to memorize their phone number.  That's just lazy.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting calsmom62:

mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM

If she is at school then they know how to get ahold of me. They wouldn't let her call me herself. If I am shopping she is at school or home. I have 4 & have never pushed my phone number on any of them in KIndergarten. They have NEVER gotten lost or needed to call me.

Quoting mjande4:

Do you ever go shopping, send your kids to school, etc.  Are your kids latched to your wrist at all times!?  You are saying that there is no possible way that your kids could get separated from you?  First of all, that's not healthy for anyone.  Second, it's a safety mechanism and I am by far NOT a helicopter mom.  I do not have to accompany my children everywhere.  It is, not only naive, but seriously stupid to not "arm" your children with the knowledge of where they live and how to get a hold of their parent.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting calsmom62:

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

If I knew the parents I might leave dd but I also don't need to be entertained or fed.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

My dd is 8 1/2 and has never disappeared and if she did and was taken to a police officer they can look me up by my name. Every school should have your child's address and number on file.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting calsmom62:

CafeMom Tickers
calsmom62
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Here they do. Kindergarten and up will. Mos parties are in venues that are pretty contained and structured or they have accommodations for parents who want to wait, with WiFi, tv lounges or at least a viewing deck at the athletic sports venues or at snow tubing....

Quoting mommybug77:

your child would have one lonely party as most here are not going to drop off at that age.

Quoting calsmom62:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN