Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
do you expect parents to stay at parties for 6/7 yr olds? i am so not in the mood to feed or entertain adults this time! is there ever a way to hint kids only?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
calsmom62
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I'm not sure I followed this convo correctly. But I want your cell number if you dropoff because you are going to give me the best mumber for that time slot on that day. Maybe mom is dropping off but is headed to the airport to pick up grandma and uncle bill is picking up party kid. So if party kid falls and goes unconscious I am hoping to call uncle bill to come to the er instead of the chuckie cheese. Or if the party us over and little billy is still sitting there and I'm calling the cell the kid told me, but he didn't .know that his older sister was doing pickup and mom is at Costco where there is no cell reception.... I'm stuck ....so I collect numbers that day.

Quoting SweetPea2004:

My dd is 8 1/2 and has never disappeared and if she did and was taken to a police officer they can look me up by my name. Every school should have your child's address and number on file.

Quoting mjande4:

Do you ever go shopping, send your kids to school, etc.  Are your kids latched to your wrist at all times!?  You are saying that there is no possible way that your kids could get separated from you?  First of all, that's not healthy for anyone.  Second, it's a safety mechanism and I am by far NOT a helicopter mom.  I do not have to accompany my children everywhere.  It is, not only naive, but seriously stupid to not "arm" your children with the knowledge of where they live and how to get a hold of their parent.

Quoting mommybug77:

11 numbers is a lot for a kid to remember. Also she doesn't know her address, so what. She has never had to. I don't leave my kids with random people that I don't know personally.

Quoting mjande4:

To me it is common sense to have your children know how to reach you.  It's right up there with knowing their address.  Yikes.  Just because a lot of kids don't do it, doesn't mean it's a smart move.

Quoting mommybug77:

I don't think twice about my 6 y/o not knowing my cell. She has never once had to call it. Lots of kids don't memorize their numbers before school.

Quoting mjande4:

While I agree, at 6 years old, there is NO excuse for the child NOT knowing their parent's cellphone number.  They should have it memorized BEFORE they go to school.  To answer the OP, no I would not stay and I don't know anyone who does.  All birthday parties starting in kindergarten here, are drop off. 

Quoting calsmom62:

But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

It depends on where the party is and how many people will be there

calsmom62
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Part if the myself, my family , my community, the world themes that starts in preschool through the early primary grades stress learning address, phone number.....even in scouting we go over this. It's one of the benchmarks of kindergarten skills to know your parents name, address, phone....people should teach their kids this and the name of their employer, etc.....

Quoting mommybug77:

I don't think twice about my 6 y/o not knowing my cell. She has never once had to call it. Lots of kids don't memorize their numbers before school.

Quoting mjande4:

While I agree, at 6 years old, there is NO excuse for the child NOT knowing their parent's cellphone number.  They should have it memorized BEFORE they go to school.  To answer the OP, no I would not stay and I don't know anyone who does.  All birthday parties starting in kindergarten here, are drop off. 

Quoting calsmom62:

But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I don't drop my daughter off at a party the parents don't know me, so they have my number and most know where I live.

Quoting calsmom62:

I'm not sure I followed this convo correctly. But I want your cell number if you dropoff because you are going to give me the best mumber for that time slot on that day. Maybe mom is dropping off but is headed to the airport to pick up grandma and uncle bill is picking up party kid. So if party kid falls and goes unconscious I am hoping to call uncle bill to come to the er instead of the chuckie cheese. Or if the party us over and little billy is still sitting there and I'm calling the cell the kid told me, but he didn't .know that his older sister was doing pickup and mom is at Costco where there is no cell reception.... I'm stuck ....so I collect numbers that day.

Quoting SweetPea2004:

My dd is 8 1/2 and has never disappeared and if she did and was taken to a police officer they can look me up by my name. Every school should have your child's address and number on file.

Quoting mjande4:

Do you ever go shopping, send your kids to school, etc.  Are your kids latched to your wrist at all times!?  You are saying that there is no possible way that your kids could get separated from you?  First of all, that's not healthy for anyone.  Second, it's a safety mechanism and I am by far NOT a helicopter mom.  I do not have to accompany my children everywhere.  It is, not only naive, but seriously stupid to not "arm" your children with the knowledge of where they live and how to get a hold of their parent.

Quoting mommybug77:

11 numbers is a lot for a kid to remember. Also she doesn't know her address, so what. She has never had to. I don't leave my kids with random people that I don't know personally.

Quoting mjande4:

To me it is common sense to have your children know how to reach you.  It's right up there with knowing their address.  Yikes.  Just because a lot of kids don't do it, doesn't mean it's a smart move.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting calsmom62:

CafeMom Tickers
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Sometimes I stay, sometimes I leave.  Kind of depends on the situation and the party.  Honestly if I felt like parents were not welcomed to stay, I'd wonder what was going on and my kids would not be there (unless it was a slumber party).

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I would NOT leave my 6/7yr old at any party without one of us present.  So if you said kids only my child would not be attending.

calsmom62
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I agree it can depend on the party. But if I have 25 kids at a party and even a quarter of moms stay and let's say some of them have toddlers, I hope there us enough room for you to comfortably sit and hang out while the kids are watching the movie or are in the party room, which often is a room just wider than the long tables in it.

Quoting Pukalani79:

Sometimes I stay, sometimes I leave.  Kind of depends on the situation and the party.  Honestly if I felt like parents were not welcomed to stay, I'd wonder what was going on and my kids would not be there (unless it was a slumber party).

MJP76
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

When my kids were that young we just did family gatherings for birthdays. We didn't start doing "parties" until they were about 10 and even then we still give them a choice, of a party or just doing something super cool with us. 

But at 10 parents just drop the kids off. I would think for younger kids, I'd expect the parents to stay, but only because I dont really know the kids. I wouldn't want a little brat at my house ruining everything and the parent not to be there to discipline their child.

Decker
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I do when they are that young. Unless it is just 2-3 kids then their parents can leave.

Mommy0505
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
This must be a regional thing... Here in WI, we always drop off and pick up later. I've never been to a kid party (and my kids are 10 now) and stayed. Unless it was family. But then again, we were listed on that invite. The invites my kids brought home only had their name on it, so that's what we gauged by.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN