Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
do you expect parents to stay at parties for 6/7 yr olds? i am so not in the mood to feed or entertain adults this time! is there ever a way to hint kids only?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (41-46):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, or a certain type of parent thing.  All the parents/kids from our school drop off/pick up too.  We live in a suburb of a large metro area in the West where the education level of the parents is high, so it's definitely not a city thing either.

Quoting Mommy0505:

This must be a regional thing... Here in WI, we always drop off and pick up later. I've never been to a kid party (and my kids are 10 now) and stayed. Unless it was family. But then again, we were listed on that invite. The invites my kids brought home only had their name on it, so that's what we gauged by.

mommybug77
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Quoting Mommy0505:

This must be a regional thing... Here in WI, we always drop off and pick up later. I've never been to a kid party (and my kids are 10 now) and stayed. Unless it was family. But then again, we were listed on that invite. The invites my kids brought home only had their name on it, so that's what we gauged by.

I am in Chicago and we don't just drop off especially at that age.
theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting occumommy:

I usually expect the parents to stay, cause i donjt want to run around after everyone else`s kids. I don`t know if there is a polite way to say just leave your kids, sorry i am no help.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I agree it must depend on where people live.  My DD has gone to many drop off parties in K and 1st grade, that are held at people's houses.  It is very similar to a playdate, just with a few more kids.  Do you all who don't drop off at parties stay for playdates too?  I have other kids over so I can have DD occupied so I can get stuff done, so I certainly wouldn't want to entertain their parent too!  (Sometimes if it is a good friend, they will stay, but not all moms!) 

It's just so weird to me.  I am fairly careful with DD, but really, at her age I was in the street or outside playing for HOURS without my mom nearby.  I think it is VERY important for her to be places without me to learn how to be independent. 

As for the phone number, no DD has never had to use mine either, but you can bet she knows it.  We go a lot of places with tons of people (fairs, festivals, etc.) and if she were to get separated from us, I would want her to know how to reach me.  Never say never.  We watch her very well, but it can happen, and she should be prepared with what to do if it does!  We tell her to find a mommy and have her call me if that ever occurs.  When she was little if we went to a state fair or similar type place I would sharpie her name and number on her arm.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I just wrote "We have plenty of adult eyes, so parents are free to drop off and pick up if they wish".

I didn't really want them to feel obligated to stay, but I didn't want them to feel forced out or uncomfortable either!
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM
We just went to a party for my ds2 in prek 4 today at a park and all the parents stayed. It was expected, as the park is large and has a range of areas that the kids go. The adults chatted and kept an eye on the kids. The bathrooms were also in another area, so the parents were in charge for bathroom trips as well. Here, drop off parties do not typically start prior to K, and even then, it just depends on the type of party it is and what activities are involved. I would say over time there has been a slow phase in for drop offs. Last weekend ds1 (2nd grade) went to a party and dh dropped him off. Another mom was shocked dh was leaving him there.

Had I been free, I probably would have stayed and chatted, as that is when the parents chat and catch up, but I was at an activity with ds2. Ds1's class is a pretty small, tight knit group, as our kids have been together since K. There are only 2-3 classes per year , so they tend to frequently be with the same kids year to year.

That being said, I was also fine with dh dropping him off. Only a few parents (who i am friendly with) stayed for ds1's part at our house this fall.

Quoting mjande4:

I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, or a certain type of parent thing.  All the parents/kids from our school drop off/pick up too.  We live in a suburb of a large metro area in the West where the education level of the parents is high, so it's definitely not a city thing either.

Quoting Mommy0505:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN