Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

so - birthday parties

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 27 Replies
I know there are two recent topics related to birthday parties; this particular thread is a spinoff of 'going to first birthday party'. In that thread, I asked if you let your kids go to everyone's parties or just their friends' parties.

I was really surprised at how many people take their kids to everyone's parties. Especially since I've recently seen a handful of topics (not all of them where on CM) complaining about having to invite the whole class.

DH and I don’t plan on inviting all of SS's classmates to his birthday party (luckily, he has a summer birthday so it will be easier to invite just a few). However, we also don’t take SS to everyone's birthday parties. If it's not a friend that SS normally talks about, we don't go to their birthday party.

If you take your kid to every party, that's cool. I'm just curious - how do you feel about inviting the entire class to your kid's birthday. I'm just wondering if there's a correlation between how many kids you invite vs. how many parties your child attends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We attend church on Saturdays, so my kids miss a lot of parties. I do try to let them attend all of the parties they are invited to that are on days where we don't have anything going on unless they really don't want to for some reason (which has never happened, but just sayin'. ;-))

So far all of the large parties that they attended were at the rec center or some of the kids' gyms around that do parties. There are lots of staff and perfect for drop off/pick up type parties. Anyway, my kids love those kinds of parties, but I wouldn't do one myself- too expensive.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my kids choose.  Most of the time they want to go, but there have been times that they don't even really like the person who invited them and they decline.  When they were young (kindergarten) I would invite all of the same sex, but as they have gotten older they have a set group of friends and so they tend to pick 2-3 and have a sleepover.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

First off, my son has NEVER been to a birthday party where the whole class was invited. His school does not have that rule. 

But I agree with mjande4--I let my kid choose if we don't have a conflict. Since it was usually just his friends that would invite him, it was usually a yes. He's only said no twice, and they were invites from girls that he was not close friends with.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

This was my son, LOL, too.  In his words, he did not want to go to a girl's party. 

Quoting Barabell:

First off, my son has NEVER been to a birthday party where the whole class was invited. His school does not have that rule. 

But I agree with mjande4--I let my kid choose if we don't have a conflict. Since it was usually just his friends that would invite him, it was usually a yes. He's only said no twice, and they were invites from girls that he was not close friends with.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

LOL, that's funny. 

Quoting mjande4:

This was my son, LOL, too.  In his words, he did not want to go to a girl's party. 

Quoting Barabell:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
When the kids were in daycare, I invited the whole class. There were pretty much no more than 15 kids. As they got older, it changed.

Our school has a policy that if you want to handout invites AT SCHOOL, you either invite the whole class or just the girls or boys. Otherwise, you're on own for getting the invites out. I am perfectly fine with this policy.

One year DS wanted his party at a minor league baseball game so we invited 5 of his friends (could only invite as many as the car could hold). DD wanted a party at a teahouse when she was 6 so we only invited the girls from her class. When she was 7 she had her party at a cupcake bakery. The place only held 12 kids so we did just girls again.

My kids go to every party. If they're invited and want to go, we go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
We have invited the whole class, a few friends, all the boys or girls......as for attending, good friends and family friends, then we take steps to make sure we don't miss it. Otherwise its all about who asks first, if our kid is available, and if our kid wants to go.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Our schools require inviting all of the same gender or the whole class to pass invites at school. We've invited all the girls. I don't mind it.
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM
My kids have always wanted to go to the parties they were invited to.

Ds1 invited his whole class in K, as it was the beginning of the year and he did not really know who he would become friends with.

Typically the boys just invite who they want. Ds2 may invite his whole class like ds1 did for K, but his b-day is in January, so that is a bit of a different situation than ds1 had.

Both boys have always invited girls as well as boys.
Tryshx
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Honestly, we prefer to do big parties at venues like ABQ Jump, a rock wall gym, family fun centers, the type of party where space is limited after already paying out the wahzoo! So we reserve space for CLOSE friends and family... luckily though DSS has a June birthday

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN