Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I know there are two recent topics related to birthday parties; this particular thread is a spinoff of 'going to first birthday party'. In that thread, I asked if you let your kids go to everyone's parties or just their friends' parties.

I was really surprised at how many people take their kids to everyone's parties. Especially since I've recently seen a handful of topics (not all of them where on CM) complaining about having to invite the whole class.

DH and I don’t plan on inviting all of SS's classmates to his birthday party (luckily, he has a summer birthday so it will be easier to invite just a few). However, we also don’t take SS to everyone's birthday parties. If it's not a friend that SS normally talks about, we don't go to their birthday party.

If you take your kid to every party, that's cool. I'm just curious - how do you feel about inviting the entire class to your kid's birthday. I'm just wondering if there's a correlation between how many kids you invite vs. how many parties your child attends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I let my kids pick.

We keep our parties small. E2s is coming up and we are talking about taking a few kids to a minor league baseball game. He's excited!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I just take ds to his friend's parties, but I don't mind inviting the whole class - kids talk, and growing up is hard enough without feeling excluded or left out. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

We do not invite the whole class, but if others want to, that's their business. My kids haven't been invited to many of those, but I let them go if they want to. One of the "invite the whole class" parties ds2 went to was b/c the family was new to the school, it was at the beginning of the school yr, and the girl's mom thought it'd be a good way for the girl to get to know her classmates better.

Dd got one invite that was for a girl she's never been in class w/ and does not currently ride her bus. I dug out her kindergarten yearbook and showed dd the girl's picture to make sure she does know this girl. Turns out they rode the same bus last yr (route changes have them on diff. buses this yr), and they do play some at recess even though they're in different classes. I went ahead and let her go.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I would let ds decide what parties he goes to, he knows how much he likes the child. I wouldn't mind inviting the whole class if I had to. We normally just invite his friends from outside school.

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

We just moved here(hubby is navy), but so far I have only met one other mom in dd class.  She has a bday coming up and I think we are just going to take her wherever she wants to eat and then maybe invite a few girls to have a sleep over or just come and play for a few hours.

We pretty much go to any party dd is invited to, which isn't many when you are the new kid every time we move.  She is an only child and it's good for her to get out and socialize with other kids her age. 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM

We don't invite everyone, just their friends. I don't see the point of basically forcing (because who wants to be the one to say "no I won't come to your party"?) a kid to go to the party of someone they don't like or hang out with. (Not to mention obligating their parent to buy a present, LOL!)

Each time one of my kids gets an invite, I ask them to tell me about the kid. If they can't tell me more than their name, we aren't going to the party. If they can tell me some info--what they would like as a present, for example--then it's likely that we will go. But I have 5 kids, 2 in elementary school. I can't afford to buy presents for every party that comes up. DD5's kinder class has 28 students and DD8's 3rd grade class has 26. There's just no way.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 10 months old

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
We Homeschool so we don't have requirements on who to invite. I tend to hate big chaotic parties so we usually only invite her closest two or three friends and do something like a movie or amusement park or build a bear, etc.

This year is the first time she has asked for a big party. She wants to have it at her gymnastics center. They play games, jump in the foam pit, set up an obstacle course, etc. Since we just quit our 2nd gym, she wants to invite her friends from both.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
progressandjoy
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

That’s how we feel.

It would be one thing if we were new to the area and SS hadn’t gotten a chance to socialize with his classmates, however he’s been there all year. If it’s not a friend he talks about, we’re not going to spend the money and time.

My younger brother (who’s in third grade), was just invited to a birthday party. It was to the birthday party of his proclaimed arch-nemesis. The two were constantly fighting and getting into severe trouble at school, but as soon as that obligatory invitation came home, my brother kept talking about going. My mom said, ‘lol-no’.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

We don't invite everyone, just their friends. I don't see the point of basically forcing (because who wants to be the one to say "no I won't come to your party"?) a kid to go to the party of someone they don't like or hang out with. (Not to mention obligating their parent to buy a present, LOL!)

Each time one of my kids gets an invite, I ask them to tell me about the kid. If they can't tell me more than their name, we aren't going to the party. If they can tell me some info--what they would like as a present, for example--then it's likely that we will go. But I have 5 kids, 2 in elementary school. I can't afford to buy presents for every party that comes up. DD5's kinder class has 28 students and DD8's 3rd grade class has 26. There's just no way.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

My DD has gone to every class party she's been invited to, so about 7 since starting school last year. She has a blast at all of them.

aj23
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM
There aren't many parties here throughout the year but I would let my son go to any party he was invited to. In two years of school he's been invited to 3 parties. I also plan on inviting the whole class to his his party. Hes in kindergarten and they all play together still so it makes more sense to invite everyone than try to pick a few.
The only reason I hesitate to invite the whole class is because so many people think its okay to bring unvited siblings and I don't like having to try and accommodate 9 year olds and 2 year olds at at 6 year olds party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN