Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Normal?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is 7 she will be 8 at the end of this month. Recently she has started crying like all the time. Everytime we talk to her she cries. She cries when she tells us things. I have asked her what is wrong if she is sad about something or upset about something and she says she doesn't know why she is crying and then that makes her cry more. I know that girls get emotional and all, but I really thought I had a few more years before she started getting this emotional about well everything. Anyone else have this problem if so any thoughts on it?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
catrig
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM
My daughter cries multiple times a day. I am almost certain she has other issues though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcgroves
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

She has never been a cryer at all. She is generally not emotional about anything that is why I am so confused. She is having a few problems with her dad recently so it may be tied to that though I am not sure.

Quoting catrig:

My daughter cries multiple times a day. I am almost certain she has other issues though.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Given that she has had a sudden change in behavior, I think you should look into counseling for her. I know my son had a hard time verbally naming emotions he was feeling at this age, and it's hard to discuss something that you cannot see with a child that doesn't know how to describe what they're feeling. A professional counselor or therapist that works with kids would be really helpful in this situation.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Some of it could be the start of hormones. Kids are hitting puberty at earlier ages now, and getting more emotional has been the first sign of it in my kids- ds1 will be 14 this month and started getting more emotional at 8, and ds2, who is 9, has been more emotional for the past yr. 

SInce you said she's been having problems w/ her father, I agree w/ the suggestion of some counseling. It can help her learn how to express what's going on and how she's feeling about it, and give her tools to cope w/ it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I was wondering too if hormones could be a partial factor, but my son didn't display hormone related moodiness until he was 10. Girls do mature faster, and so I guess that 8 would not be unusual either.

Even though it is normal to start moodiness from hormones around 8-10 years old, I still think--like you do--that counseling could help. Even at 10, my son had a hard time understanding my talks with him about hormones and their impact on emotions. Then throw in the issues with her dad too. She's probably pretty confused about what she's feeling right now.

Quoting wakymom:

Some of it could be the start of hormones. Kids are hitting puberty at earlier ages now, and getting more emotional has been the first sign of it in my kids- ds1 will be 14 this month and started getting more emotional at 8, and ds2, who is 9, has been more emotional for the past yr. 

SInce you said she's been having problems w/ her father, I agree w/ the suggestion of some counseling. It can help her learn how to express what's going on and how she's feeling about it, and give her tools to cope w/ it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest son went to a psychologist for a few years in early elementary for his anxiety.  I still think that it was the best thing for the both of us because the therapist spent a lot of time talking about emotions and teaching my son about the appropriate ways to express his emotions.  That's where I get the awesome expression "emotions aren't good or bad, it's the ways that we express them that are good or bad."  My son honestly learned what the different emotions were, what symptoms he had physically to them, and how to replace the symptoms that were unacceptable with acceptable ones.  Both of us learned different things that would trigger certain emotions and how to recognize those triggers and emotional responses prior to them getting out of control and becomming inappropriate.

If our schools weren't so strapped for time and cash, I'd love to see a course on emotions for elementary school children.  I'm sure that it would be a huge benefit to all of the students and parents alike.

Quoting Barabell:

I was wondering too if hormones could be a partial factor, but my son didn't display hormone related moodiness until he was 10. Girls do mature faster, and so I guess that 8 would not be unusual either.

Even though it is normal to start moodiness from hormones around 8-10 years old, I still think--like you do--that counseling could help. Even at 10, my son had a hard time understanding my talks with him about hormones and their impact on emotions. Then throw in the issues with her dad too. She's probably pretty confused about what she's feeling right now.

Quoting wakymom:

CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Around that age it could be hormones. My dd started the tears more often around 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM
My son 7 1/2 has gotten quite emotional so i think it may also just be a stage?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)