Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kitchen Talk for March 3rd

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 16 Replies

Are you teaching your kids how to cook? If so, What meals can they cook?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM

No

They aren't interested right now. 

rsrangel
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My 4 year old stays with my mom during the day, and she asks for eggs every morning.  So they taught her how to make the eggs from start to finish.  With very close supervision, she can make scrambled eggs.  :)

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
No not yet. They've helped me bake cakes before though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Yes. J, my 4 year old helps with cooking and baking all the time. K isn't really interested unless I'm baking then she will help. T know how to do basic things like cheese quesadillas, toast, soup.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Yup, mine are on the older side (9, 12, & 15yo) and cook a lot. They can make about anything with a recipe.
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Some basic things, but not really. He hasn't shown much of an interest.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Mac can use the microwave. He can also make pasta on the stove. I've taught him how to brown hamburger, but it's not something he's done alone yet. Cam can pour milk on her cereal and she can open pop top cans. She's learning to make easy snacks at school, but I wouldn't trust her with anything more complicated than a toaster. Tia is only one. DH says he's teaching her to make pancakes and eggs. Lol, he cooks Sat breakfast with her on his hip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Yes, my boys are learning how to cook, just not in the traditional sense.  In my family, you learn how to cook on an open fire first.

My 12 year old can cook pretty much anything on an open fire, and my 9 year old just started learning last summer.  

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Sort of. I don't let them help as much as they'd like just b/c I don't like to cook, so I tend to just want to get it over w/.

Dd (7) can, w/ a little help, make scrambled eggs. She loves to help stir things on the stove.

Ds2 does his own frozen waffles in the toaster, and can reheat things in the microwave.

Ds1 can do frozen pizza on his own, Kraft mac and cheese, tuna helper, and the ready-to-heat frozen dinners. He also makes some very good red velvet white chocolate chip cookies : ) I know need to teach him more- if he's hanging around the kitchen when I am cooking, I'll tell him stuff, but haven't been brave enough to let him do much else yet. He can probably do more than I'm aware of b/c the boys cook their own meals on most Boy Scout campouts.

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Sadly, having my DD in the kitchen trying to cook with me has usually been a big distraction and we usually end up bickering about something or another and she usually gets sent out. I do enjoy having her help when we can get along. She doesn't know how to cook any meals yet because she just helps with putting the meals together. She measures things out for me, cuts some things up, sets the timer, and fetches things. DD has expressed interest in learning how to cook but I usually don't have the patience or concentration to do it with her. I really wish I did though, I have great memories of cooking with my mom and it would be nice to pass it on to my DD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)