Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

FIRE in our oven :(

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

So proud of my boys right now. Manny (oldest DS) came out of his bedroom to get a drink of water and said "Dad the oven is still on." Jason (DF): "Ok turn it off." Manny: "No I mean it's sparking!!" So yeah long story short we had a coil that went bad and it started sparking. The boys were quick to act I called management, and the fire department. Melo (Youngest DS) grabbed Chi in a blanket, and Manny got Apollo in the carrier and we all got out of the apartment. Manny was calm yet alarming in telling us about the oven. (Not freaking out and stuttering etc.) The fire department came in and unplugged it, and shut off the breaker to it and all is well.

Why does stuff always happen on the days that we do wedding stuff? The first time I went out with all of my bridesmaids and my mom for dress shopping I ran out of gas and today we went to a Bridal Show and now our oven catches on fire. :(

Our apt neighbor said "It's a sign to NOT DO IT!" I laughed and said "Forget that.... we're not letting stuff stop us from getting married!" He laughed and came outside to smoke a cig with us.

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I'm glad you are all ok-- and that's great that your son could react calmly!

I had an oven fire a few months ago. My BFF was here with her 3 boys and my 3 kids were here. For several days prior to that I kind of (in the back of my mind) noticed that when I would cook I smelled this meal I had made days earlier. Turns out a chunk of something had spilled onto the bottom coil and was getting burnt more and more each time I cooked and this particular time it burst into flames. I turned off the oven and was about to evacuate the kids. It was then I realized A) what ever happened to the fire extinguisher we used to have under the sink??? and B) I had no baking soda. My BFF said you can use salt, but I didn't have a big quantity. At any rate, the fire never really got out of control in there and as we were getting ready to leave the house and call 911 the fire burned itself out. lol

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

We had baking soda but we didn't have enough aparently to put it out :( and when my DF was putting the baking soda on it the fire/sparks got worse instead of going away which is why I was on the phone with the fire dept.

I'm so proud of the boys. They were fantastic getting the cats together, getting their shoes and coats on and getting into the van to stay warm.

Quoting SahmTam:

I'm glad you are all ok-- and that's great that your son could react calmly!

I had an oven fire a few months ago. My BFF was here with her 3 boys and my 3 kids were here. For several days prior to that I kind of (in the back of my mind) noticed that when I would cook I smelled this meal I had made days earlier. Turns out a chunk of something had spilled onto the bottom coil and was getting burnt more and more each time I cooked and this particular time it burst into flames. I turned off the oven and was about to evacuate the kids. It was then I realized A) what ever happened to the fire extinguisher we used to have under the sink??? and B) I had no baking soda. My BFF said you can use salt, but I didn't have a big quantity. At any rate, the fire never really got out of control in there and as we were getting ready to leave the house and call 911 the fire burned itself out. lol

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a toaster oven fire many years ago.  My oldest was an infant eating dinner in his highchair.  I pulled the plug on the toaser over and sprayed it with the fire extinguisher.  Never even had to take the baby out of the highchair.  lol  I was pissed that my mini pizza was ruined though.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM

We would have moved the stove but it was too heavy and lodged into the space with not much wiggling room to get it out. :( 

Luckily we didn't have any food ruined but now I'm trying to think how we're going to cook until we have a stove and oven again :( That's our lively hood because we both LOVE to cook full meals.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I had a toaster oven fire many years ago.  My oldest was an infant eating dinner in his highchair.  I pulled the plug on the toaser over and sprayed it with the fire extinguisher.  Never even had to take the baby out of the highchair.  lol  I was pissed that my mini pizza was ruined though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I lived without an oven for nearly 3 months a few years back.  My oven died, and I had to save up enough to buy a new one and then wait for it to come in since it was a special order due to it's size.

Anyway, I did all of my cooking on the grill.  I think that I impressed my husband with everything that I was able to cook on the grill.  This would include stuff like meatloaf and pizza.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

We would have moved the stove but it was too heavy and lodged into the space with not much wiggling room to get it out. :( 

Luckily we didn't have any food ruined but now I'm trying to think how we're going to cook until we have a stove and oven again :( That's our lively hood because we both LOVE to cook full meals.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

We have no balcony for a grill otherwise I would TOTALLY grill! LOL :( We live in an apt in the basement apt at that.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I lived without an oven for nearly 3 months a few years back.  My oven died, and I had to save up enough to buy a new one and then wait for it to come in since it was a special order due to it's size.

Anyway, I did all of my cooking on the grill.  I think that I impressed my husband with everything that I was able to cook on the grill.  This would include stuff like meatloaf and pizza.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Oh, I've never lived in an apartment.  Are you even responsible for getting a new stove or would that be up to the landlord?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

We have no balcony for a grill otherwise I would TOTALLY grill! LOL :( We live in an apt in the basement apt at that.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Sweets32285
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Scary stuff.  My 4 year old set our microwave on fire when he was 2.  I was in the shower when it happened.  My daughter was 5 at the time, she came in screaming that it was on fire.  I put the fire out while in a towel, soaking wet.  My son pushed a chair over to the counter, put in my favorite sunglasses, a hole puncher, pair of scissors, a picture of me and my daughter when she was a baby, and a thing of catnip.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM

It's upto the landlord THANK GOD! I already have a gas stove... lol I don't want to have to buy an electric one also! LOL

Quoting steelcrazy:

Oh, I've never lived in an apartment.  Are you even responsible for getting a new stove or would that be up to the landlord?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Glad you all are okay! And everything turned out okay!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)