Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*sigh* I am so frustrated.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

My DD is 5. I have been home schooling her and recently had her tested. She is working at a 1st grade level in reading/language arts and second grade level in math. She has been thriving in a home school environment. She does well academically and is very socially active. I would LOVE to be able to continue home schooling her.

However, her bio father, whom I am divorced from, is now taking me to court to bar me from home schooling. Our DD and I are BOTH very upset by this. Our DD LOVES being home schooled. She is very happy.

I positively refuse to send her to the crappy public schools in the area. I am aware that not ALL public schools are awful. The ones in THIS area are though, and I will not send her to public school here.

I intend to fight this and attempt to be allowed to home school her. I have already retained an attorney. But I am aware that home schooling is generally frowned upon. So I am prepared to be told that I can not continue her education at home. I am now looking at private elementary schools. I will have to work in order to pay her tuition because her father will not agree to pay half I am sure. I am not thrilled about this. But her education is important and I will do whatever is necessary to make sure she succeeds.

Has anyone used a Montessori elementary school?

Do your kids attend private school? Tell me about it!

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thebailiffs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I am so sorry that this is happening to you guys. 

Do you think he will fight homeschooling as a whole or you homeschooling her. Hope you understand my questions. A lot of times fathers are made at their Ex's. what about having someone else homeschool or a hybrid of classes outside a public school  and a different teachers. Not sure where you live but in my area homeschooling families can send their kids to classes taught by Cred. Teachers that are not in a pubic school setting.  

Best case scenario, you win to homeschooling and maybe offer she goes to a class for a few subjects.  Second plan a small private school. 

Sorry he is doing this to you guys. Hugs and good luck

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Is the homeschool through the school district?  If so, he doesnt have a leg to stand on since there is a teacher monitoring her progress.  If he does want her in a brick and mortar school he will have to be ordered to pay at least half of a private tuition.  We are lucky that our public schools are really good compared to the private schools.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Thank you.

He is fighting me altogether. We recently had mediation to attempt to settle the matter and he refused to budge or meet in the middle at all. I offered to sit down with him and pick out curriculum together, to have her assessed every quarter ON MY DIME, make sure that she participates in as many activities she desires ON MY OWN DIME, to at least give me til the 6th grade. And he shot me down at every turn. He was not willing to compromise at all.

Quoting thebailiffs:

I am so sorry that this is happening to you guys. 

Do you think he will fight homeschooling as a whole or you homeschooling her. Hope you understand my questions. A lot of times fathers are made at their Ex's. what about having someone else homeschool or a hybrid of classes outside a public school  and a different teachers. Not sure where you live but in my area homeschooling families can send their kids to classes taught by Cred. Teachers that are not in a pubic school setting.  

Best case scenario, you win to homeschooling and maybe offer she goes to a class for a few subjects.  Second plan a small private school. 

Sorry he is doing this to you guys. Hugs and good luck

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Currently we are using K12, but we both hate it and the curriculum is not challenging enough for her. Due to her age, they have her doing kindergarten work. She is breezing through it with ease. I felt that was the best course of action due to her age, her bday is at the end of December and according the minimum age requirements, she would be going in to kindergarten this coming fall. By using the K12 program, I was able to early admit her and she will be (or at least if I am allowed to continue home schooling) going in the first grade this coming fall. I suspect the work will still not be challenging enough for her, but like I said, considering the circumstances, this was the best option.

I found a montessori school that has receive great reviews with a minimal tuition schedule that I will be likely to afford. As of right now, that is my back up plan.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Is the homeschool through the school district?  If so, he doesnt have a leg to stand on since there is a teacher monitoring her progress.  If he does want her in a brick and mortar school he will have to be ordered to pay at least half of a private tuition.  We are lucky that our public schools are really good compared to the private schools.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Have you checked to make sure they will allow her to go to first grade?  Our district won't allow a child to go to 1st grade unless they're 6 by September first regardless of whether they've gone to kindergarten already since kindergarten isn't mandatory.  The only way to get a kid in early here is to send them to private school for a day and transfer them in as first graders; not sure if you homeschooled for the first week and then transferred in if it would be the same (at least here); I would think it would be but I don't know.

Glad you found a Montessori school you liked.  They weren't a good choice for my daughter as it was too child directed (would have been fine for my son as he's much more independent) and their tuition was astronomical, at least in my opinion (18500 for the school day/extended day available for more).  Hope everything works out.  I don't know much about how the courts rule but I would think if you have data showing the public schools aren't good and xh is pushing for stopping homeschool even with everything you offered to do and the tests show she's doing well, they should make him pay for part of the schooling.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Currently we are using K12, but we both hate it and the curriculum is not challenging enough for her. Due to her age, they have her doing kindergarten work. She is breezing through it with ease. I felt that was the best course of action due to her age, her bday is at the end of December and according the minimum age requirements, she would be going in to kindergarten this coming fall. By using the K12 program, I was able to early admit her and she will be (or at least if I am allowed to continue home schooling) going in the first grade this coming fall. I suspect the work will still not be challenging enough for her, but like I said, considering the circumstances, this was the best option.

I found a montessori school that has receive great reviews with a minimal tuition schedule that I will be likely to afford. As of right now, that is my back up plan.

Quoting frndlyfn:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I agree with the rest of the posters regarding the homeschooling. You indicated that you would have to go to work to pay tuition.  Are you currently NOT working and he is paying alimony AND child support?  If so, I can understand in a way where he is coming from and that might make your fight a bit harder.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

he does not pay alimoney, he pays less child support than ordered because he claimed he wouldn't be able to afford a two bedroom place if he paid the full amount. However, he LIED. He got a one bedroom place, pocketed the extra money and our child sleeps on the floor.

Quoting mjande4:

I agree with the rest of the posters regarding the homeschooling. You indicated that you would have to go to work to pay tuition.  Are you currently NOT working and he is paying alimony AND child support?  If so, I can understand in a way where he is coming from and that might make your fight a bit harder.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I would assemble all the proof you can find about how good homeschooling is for children, how well your DD is doing being homeschooled, the proof of what you were willing to do to compromise and the proof of how he lied.  Hopefully all that would get the court ruling in your favor.

What does your lawyer say?  Is your lawyer supportive of homeschooling & willing to fight that battle for you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)