Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So I gotta ask

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your school actually use dittos?

Options:

Yes, they rock that ancient ditto machine

No way, Jose! We have worksheets

WTF is a ditto anyway?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 94

View Results

What's up with all of the ditto talk?  I have a very hard time believing that there is a school in the US that still has a ditto machine and actually produces dittos.  I honestly haven't seen or heard of a ditto since the early 1980's.

So does your school actually use dittos and if so what state are you locaed in?

I even added an option for you young'uns who've never heard of dittos.  And, no they aren't worksheets.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smushy79
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

What??

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM
What is ditto talk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Lol never heard of it.
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Where i grew up ditto was interchangable with worksheet. So now Im curious and and sont have time to google.ggggrrrr to you steel.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM
4 moms liked this

IF my school had dittos, LOL, I would be high from sniffing all the papers. 

got3boyz
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I don't even know what a ditto is.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I loved using the ditto machine when I was in elementary school.... the nun always used to let me work it when we were putting packets together. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

It's just boring, modern copy machines at our schools.

I remember making dittos in 12th grade as a teacher's aide for a biology teacher- I miss that smell : (

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I know it's early but what?

family in the van   Mom of four

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Since I lurve you:

The ditto machine (spirit duplicator) sold by Ditto, Inc. beginning in 1910, used two-ply "spirit masters" or "ditto masters". The top sheet could be typed, drawn, or written upon.[citation needed] The second sheet was coated with a layer of colored wax. The pressure of writing or typing on the top sheet transferred colored wax to its back side, producing a mirror image of the desired marks. (This acted like a reverse of carbon paper.) The wax-supply sheet was then removed and discarded, and the other sheet (containing the images) was fastened onto the drum of the (manual or electrical) machine, with the waxed (back, or reverse-image) side out.

The usual wax color was aniline purple, a cheap, moderately durable pigment that provided good contrast, though other colors were also available. Unlike mimeo, ditto had the useful ability to print multiple colors in a single pass, which made it popular with cartoonists. Spirit duplicators were incapable of double-sided printing, since the saturation of the paper with solvent inherent to the process would destroy a previously printed image. One well-made ditto master could at most print about 500 copies, far fewer than a mimeo stencil could manage. To produce further copies, an entirely new master would have to be reconstructed in the same way as the original master.

Notoriously, dittoed images would gradually fade with exposure to light[citation needed], limiting their usability for permanent labels and signage. Dittoed copies now pose a serious challenge toarchivists responsible for document textual and artistic preservation.

This is from wikipedia.

Quoting JulesFairy:

Where i grew up ditto was interchangable with worksheet. So now Im curious and and sont have time to google.ggggrrrr to you steel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)