Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Huh?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 15 Replies

Maybe I am being ridiculous but wanted to see if this is appropriate. My sons teacher sent an email about the whole class attending the miss pride pageant that one of the students is the reining queen or whatever. The idea is friends and family will present her with flowers during send off when she crowns a new winner. Now this is not mandatory but am I crazy or does this show favoritism or is this simply a nice way to support a classmate? 

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

It seems like a nice gesture to me. 

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM
a way to support a classmate.
there was a lot of encouragement for my son when he was performing in the nutcracker.
many of my daughter's classmates and their families came to see her dance the title role in Alice in Wonderland.
once in a lifetime experiences sometimes seem to get more notice, but considering how much emphasis is on sports when a child achieves outside of that arena it is nice to encourage it.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Does the teacher email about other kids' accomplishments or is this a first?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Sounds like its simply a nice way to support a classmate.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

No this is the first time she has made it a "group" activity regarding a classmate. She will view sports games and poetry recitals etc. on her own. That being said I know there are certain kids where she has not attended anything of theirs ie. gymnastics, soccer, ect. I have not experienced this personally but I do know people have mentioned she plays favorites. She also has pics up on the website and she must have twice as many pics of this girl and a couple others. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I agree with everyone else, it seems like a nice gesture. Are you/your child envious? If you don't want to support the other child, ok, but I know my daughter's teachers have always advertised when she had a show going on. In fact her 3rd grade teacher took the entire class to see her perform in a production of Annie and the kids loved it.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Seems like some parents are reading way too much into things.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

No this is the first time she has made it a "group" activity regarding a classmate. She will view sports games and poetry recitals etc. on her own. That being said I know there are certain kids where she has not attended anything of theirs ie. gymnastics, soccer, ect. I have not experienced this personally but I do know people have mentioned she plays favorites. She also has pics up on the website and she must have twice as many pics of this girl and a couple others. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

i veiw it as a nice way to support a classmate, that is if they do this for every studant who has something,  but you said it is not mandatory so you do not have to take your son if you dont want to

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Quoting mjande4:

I agree with everyone else, it seems like a nice gesture. Are you/your child envious? If you don't want to support the other child, ok, but I know my daughter's teachers have always advertised when she had a show going on. In fact her 3rd grade teacher took the entire class to see her perform in a production of Annie and the kids loved it.

No we are not envious first he is a boy so he could give a hoot. I guess this girl is sweet but she is not very modest. She is always commenting on how awesome she is. So if she is the only one who has the class attend something of hers I can imagine she will think she is that much better.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I know exactly what you mean...DH's cousin is 12 and has always been an attention whore. She drives me crazy. That said, I do think it's a nice gesture to support a classmate.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting mjande4:

No we are not envious first he is a boy so he could give a hoot. I guess this girl is sweet but she is not very modest. She is always commenting on how awesome she is. So if she is the only one who has the class attend something of hers I can imagine she will think she is that much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN