Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Reading Challenge Day 2: What Grade is Your Participating Child In?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 2 of the Reading Challenge!

Studies show that reading to your children from an early age, help them to build their vocabulary.

reading
Daily Question: Did your child read for 15 minutes - or did you read to your child?
Which book?

Bonus question:
How old is your child/children that are participating in this challenge? What grade?
Do they read books where the characters are the same age/grade as themselves?
If so, which books?

One member who signs up for our Reading Challenge and participates in all 14 days of the activities will WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Reading Challenge: Have Your Child Read Everyday! WIN a $25 Gift Card!!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lisajo76
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM
My little guy isn't in school yet
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dolphingirl2004
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

She ususally reads for about an hour to 45 mins, last nite was about 45 and she read "The Princess Trap". My daughter is 8 years old and in Grade 3, the books she read are within her grade level and usually all sorts of different books.

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Dd is in 4th and ds is in 6th. This is our first yr home schooling, but if they would've stayed at their school they would've both been in an elementary school still. They are both reading at a 6th grade or higher level. They both like young adult fiction. Percy Jackson, The Hunger Games, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM
7 & 8 years old. 1st and 3rd grades. My 7 y/o likes books that have animals as the main characters. My dd8 likes Junie B. Jones.
ETA they read every night before bed, haven't read yet today.
SP_Mama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Both my kids read every night.  They are in Kinder and 1st grade and read all different kinds of books.  Right now, they are reading the Boxcar Children.  Both are above the reading level of their grade.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My 10, 13 and 17 yrs olds read on their own. The 5 and 6 yr old listened to DH reading "Mickey and the Beanstalk." Which I love listening to my DH read, he changes his voices for teh characters. 

My children are all kind of participating: 17 and 12th grade; 13 and 8th grade; 10 and 5th grade; 6 and 1st grade; 5 and Kinder. 

I am not sure what grades Patterson's Middle Schooler books take place in or Diary of a Whimpy kid. 
My youngest two love Junie B. Jones and she is either kinder or 1st grade depending on where in teh series they are. I also think that either Jack or Annie in Magic Tree House  are aroudn 1st grade.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

We've always read to our kids.

My DD (7 yrs old, 1st grade) is reading at a 6th grade level and my DS (8 yrs old, 2nd grade) is reading at a 5th grade level.

They read for 20 minutes every night. They love all books really.

klamomma2
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

My kids are in school, they read after school a few times and then before bed for about 20 minutes. 
My daughter is 6 (7 in 2.5wks) she is in first grade she reads a lot of books with characters her own age Fancy Nancy, Junie B. Jones...  My 5yr old son is in Pre-k, he is now learning to read on his own.  I can't really think of books he reads or I read him with characters his own age he loves Dr. Suess books, Spiderman, Thomas.  

Starshine-bela
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM
We'll be reading again tonight. He's 7, going on 8, in second grade. I don't think he read anything with a character his age. He loves books about trains and legos.
IntlMom12
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I will read to both my boys for at least 15 minutes today. Whatever they choose.

Kindergarten.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN