Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Sex!!! Its everywhere!

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM
  • 32 Replies
We went to a local grease dive last night for dinner. They had one of those news all the time stations on. Sex sex sex and rape was all they talked about. My son was really upset about it. He's 10. At school on the kids news that they have to watch he told me it was all about same-sex marriange. And people fighting about it. He said WHY are they having 5th graders watch that? He knows what gay is. He understands love. And relationships. But the way everything comes across he said it just feels like sex is everywhere. Last night he was worries about a 5 year old in the room being able to hear what they were talking about on the news.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM
That is great that he notices...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I use it as a learning opportunity.

tristansmom74
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM
How?

Quoting natesmom1228:

I use it as a learning opportunity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I use it as a learning experience too.  These subject matters are not going to magically disappear.  Meet them head on and frankly a ten year old is more than capable of learning about life.  Channel One news tends to be the one piped into the schools.  It's owned by ABC.  If you want to preview or see any of their broadcasts, just look it up.  I am sure that they are online and I will tell you after 20 years of seeing those broadcasts, they are pretty sanitized.

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I FEEL SAME WAY..ITS EVER WERE..
CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I think it is every where too! Drives me crazy! 

corrinacs
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Thank you for posting this.  Granted, we haven't been in this situation really before....but it is everywhere and its only a matter of time!

And I really hate teh news.  Luckily, I like NPR (so does my son) and they talk about many other things going on in our world other than sex (it does come up, but not like THAT).  Sometimes he asks me about it, like what war is and why people fight each other (that's hard to talk about).

But sex, I don't even know where to start!  We've kind of renamed it "keeping him safe" for now.  We haven't talked much about "sex" in its true terms, just about what parts are private and to be sure he talks to us if someone makes him uncomfortable or does something that seems very wrong.  And what to do if something happens and he loses us....you know, giving him peice of mind!  I don't know how to turn it into more "sex" talk.  He's 5, btw.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I too say use it as a learning experience.  Teach him that stuff that we don't like is going to be around us all our lives (because let's face it, we know this isn't going to change anytime soon).  Teach him about tuning it out or turning it off.  Teach him that even news stations are a business and they only care about ratings, which equals money.  Teach him to take everything he hears on the news with a grain of salt because even news stations get their facts wrong.  They want to be the first one to report a big story so they are more concerned with getting something out there rather than verifying their facts first.  Teach him that just because the news makes life seem bad, doesn't mean it actually is bad.  Take him out and show him some of the good things of life, the way people help other people, etc.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I also use situations like this as an opportunity to open up a dialog wth my children on my values and beliefs.  It is also a great way to find out what they already know, correct any misinformation that they have, and also give them more information that you feel is age appropriate.

Both of my boys have known about sex and rape for awhile now, the youngest is 9.

BKozICan
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We stopped watching the news about a year and a half ago. We live near Penn State and it was just too graphic. Pretty much the only safe channels we watch in our house are DIY, Food Network and Disney.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN