Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Big Storm

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 69 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you buy groceries or items such as toilet paper, batteries, flashlights, and a snow shovel so that you are prepared?

Options:

Yes

No

It depends

We don't get bad weather

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

I live in Maryland, and we are expecting 8 -10 inches of snow tomorrow.  

I want to know... what do you do when you are expecting a Blizzard/ winter snow storm?

skiing

ETA: I don't mean specifically what you do or don't do in 8-10 inches of snow... I was just sharing what weather we were expecting. I was interested in what you do to prepare for a Blizzard (whatever that means to you), or even a hurricane, tornado, or the severe weather in your area.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I live in upstate NY, 8-10 inches is considered normal, not a blizzard, the kids still have school most of the time when it snows that amount, nothing to stock up for. We always have an emergency stash, but we don't freak out for every snow storm.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

No. I live in MN, and it snowed 7 inches before I woke up this morning. I still came to work today. Not all schools were closed. Grocery stores are still open. The streets are still being plowed. 8-10 inches of snow doesn't shut our metro area down.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It's funny how on the News they always interview the people at the grocery stores and Home Depot.

occumommy
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
No, generally we have things around just in case but being from upstate ny it takes feet of snow before we get worried, generally if weather is supposed to be bad we might pick up a few extras so we don`t have to go out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
We're just getting 2"-4" so nothing special is needed for that. For 8"-10" I would make sure I had food on hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We are always prepared to lose power. We have lived in this house for a year, and the slightest storm makes the whole neighborhood lose power. (In our last home where we lived for 6 years, we never lost power). We always make sure to charge our phones and electronics so we can be entertained during the storm, we have our flashlights and candles, and our battery operated radio. Since this is our first "winter storm" in this house we may have to spend the night with my parents if we get to cold.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Always have a stash of food that does bot need to be heated up, bateries, flashlights, blankets to keep warm. And first aid kit. I work in the emergency department of the Red Cross. Since working there i have become very prepared for everything. Which my husband laughs at but i would rather be over prepared and not need it, then need it and not have if
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I only go buy that stuff if it is close to my regular shopping day. Otherwise, no. I buy TP and paper towels and most non-perishables in bulk anyway, so once a month is generally all I need to get those. Milk is the only thing I may grab, but even then, it depends on what kind of storm and whether I am worried we'll lose power. If we're going to lose power, I'd rather not have a fridge full of food. 

MJP76
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I think people overreact to situations like this. It's never as bad as they say. I can honestly remember ONE storm here in Ohio in the last 20 years that was truly as bad as they said it was going to be. I figure for the most part as long as we have supplies to last a week we are good.

case in point: we were expecting bad weather starting at 6am. And by two we were supposed to get the snow, the ice, the sleet.. The freezing rain.. He whole nine. I've seen two sprinkles all day. People were talking about a blizzard that was suppose to hit today... I'm still waiting...lol

jamianne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM

No.  We always have a stock of batteries, non-perishables, and paper products on hand anyway, so there's no need for us to run out to buy them in case of a storm.  We're in a metro area on a main road, so it's not as if we'd be snowed in for any length of time - and there are two grocery stores within two blocks of us.  The only way we'd go out to "stock up" would be if we were going anyway because we were starting to run low.  I always have to laugh when I see people with a cart full of bread and milk right before a storm is predicted.  I always wonder how they plan on drinking all of it before it goes bad, especially if they lose power.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)