Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are you honest with your kids about their abilities?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 32 Replies
My 10 year old wants me to put her on America's got talent... for singing, and she wants to sing in front of everyone. But she can't carry a tune to save her soul. Should I just ignore it or tell her it's just not her strong point.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I left comment here and now it's gone...anyway:

we believe in honesty. I would not allow my child to go on national TV and embarass themselves. And I read I a previous comment that you weren't going to allow her to go, but with that said, if you allow her to go on believing she has this talent because you don't say anything to her, then what happens when she's an adult and still has this delusion?

MJP76
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Ok I guess that was on the other post.. Why do you have two posts that are the same?

gottalovedrama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I am completely honest. I have a dd who is academically talented but not artistically. She cannot even draw stick figures, my other dd is VERY artistic but cannot do math at all. I help them focus on their strengths and let them know everyone has a weakness.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
I am VERY honest about abilities or lack there of. I would never let my daughter go to an audition, let alone on stage, if she wasn't good.
nicoal4
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I don't know why there is 2 post.but I feel like I should tell her my husband thinks we shouldn't.

Quoting MJP76:

I left comment here and now it's gone...anyway:

we believe in honesty. I would not allow my child to go on national TV and embarass themselves. And I read I a previous comment that you weren't going to allow her to go, but with that said, if you allow her to go on believing she has this talent because you don't say anything to her, then what happens when she's an adult and still has this delusion?

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I am... Well no clue what its called "this is not your strong suit, but 'this' is. Why dont you try doing this instead" no clue what u call doung that. I steer her to her strong points and cheer her on. I let her still continue to "sing" just not on TV for that
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yeah.....I tell them they suck!  hahahaha

No, really....I tell them that they are not quite there but we can see how she can get better. 

calsmom62
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Ha ha,,,,

Quoting M4LG5:

Yeah.....I tell them they suck!  hahahaha

No, really....I tell them that they are not quite there but we can see how she can get better. 

DyslexiaParent
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Telling a child they aren't "good enough" and leaving it at that can be devastating to the child's self esteem, but letting her go on America's Got Talent when she doesn't have it could be worse! I think it's a case for delicate handling.  If her love and passion is for singing, you could tell her you don't think she's ready to go on America's Got Talent YET, but if she wants to pursue the dream she can have singing lessons.  That will allow her to continue her pursuit of her dream and her voice coach will help her better understand the range and tune of singing required to be a good singer.  If your DD is truly dedicated, she will work at it and practice a lot, and who knows.. maybe she will learn to carry a tune.  

jaytee
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm honest with my kiddos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN