Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do your schools do this?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 78 Replies

I got a call yesterday from the school board. They were calling to inform parents that because the high school girls basketball team had made it to state playoffs school would be closed Friday so that all the teachers and students that wanted to go to Richmond could go.

Our county is small. They are very sports oriented. I am glad that the girls get the support that they get. Maybe it's because I am not a sports person, I have a hard time thinking that it is ok for the entire school system to shut down because of a basketball game. I am not going to flip out and all that kind of crazy stuff but I have trouble seeing how a ball game is more important than school. But it is only one game and I will not protest. It's not a huge deal it just seems strange to me.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

No. They would not do that here.

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No I live in a big district, that wouldn't happen here.

AleaKat
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Some school systems where I'm from shut down for the first day of hunting season. Lol
I guess it's all in where you live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mommy2004
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Our schools don't close for the sports games, but it does close for the county fair. lol!

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
No but we have a big district. I could see smaller districts doing it because families may want to go than have kids in younger grades
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I grew up in a small basketball-driven town in Indiana.  We made it to Regionals (just REGIONALS) one year and they closed the school district so people could make arrangements to go.  Oh, yea.  Basketball is big there.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Our school closed for two days last month for a ball game, but wont close forallthe sickness going around...

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Traditionally, the high school has a day off if they make it to regionals or the state tournament. Not the whole school district has off. I've heard a lot of schools are stepping away from doing that now though.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

We're not a huge district, but I didn't think the school was allowed to close just for any reason they wanted. Ours have never done this, but I really wouldn't care if they did.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM
No, never. I went to middle and high school in this district that my boys are in - nothing like this has ever happened.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN