Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use children’s books to explain life events?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 35 Replies

I've been really impressed with my stepson's kindergarten. Since the beginning of school, they've given him (and every other student) roughly ten new books to take home and keep. They've also all been about subjects that the kids are going through.

During open house, where the kids meet their teachers and see the school for the first time, the school gave the kids a book about feeling anxious for the first day of school. During an event in the middle of last semester, the school gave out four books - one was about losing your first tooth, one was about playground bullies, one was about new transfer students, and the other revolved around a class activity (identifying writers and illustrators). SS has gotten other books during the school year, which have all related to a specific thing going on at school. 

Anyways, I really like that SS has a children's book that he can read and relate to. I've gotten him a few other books that address particular issues we'd been experiencing (some negativity towards DH and I).

Anyways, I'm wondering - Do you guys use children's books to help explain life issues/events? Do you use them for small things (losing a tooth, meeting new people), or big things (death, divorce)? Does your school give out free books to the students?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TroyboysMom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Yes. We have books for both big and small things - and similar (if not the same books) are available at ds' school and my school (I teach.).

bi-polarmommy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

i have personally never used childrens books to help expalin things to my kids, i have always talked with them myself, but i think they're a good idea because moms are simply unable to break big things down into understandable terms for little minds

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM
No but I would if I felt it was needed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup! When my oldest was 2, I.used a Dora book to help tall her I was pregnant. Well, I ended up pregnant with twins....just like Dora's mom. I blame it on the book. Haha.

We do.read books that have a moral to the story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Yes for some things and no our school has not given out any books
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Sometimes. I did when pregnant to help ds1, then ds2 adjust to a new sibling. And we got something from the library about starting kindergarten before each one did. Those are the only times I can think of that I have, though.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I do use them for big things from time to time... Sometimes it's just helpful for kids to see that they aren't the only ones who have had to deal with something, or that their feelings are normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
When it benefits me....like the Berenstain Bears Clean Their Room. LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Sometimes they can be very helpful such as when kids listen to others say the same thing their parents say it sticks better lol. Always happens here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

No her schools have never given out free books and yes I have given her books to help explain puberty to her that she could read in her own room privately and come ask me questions if she had any..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)